Counter-Strike comeback set for early 2012

Julio Franco

Staff member

It’s been a long while since Valve launched the remake of the original Counter-Strike using the Source engine in 2004. Then last Friday, out of nowhere, the prolific game publisher unveiled Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, a new team-based action shooter being worked on in-house with collaboration of Hidden Path Entertainment, who also co-developed CS: Source.

Details on the new game don’t abound just yet, but Valve was ready to show a pre-beta version to a handful of media outlets and CS pro players, so among the things we know is that CS: GO is slated for release early next year on the PC, OS X, Xbox and PS3 platforms, with a closed beta planned for this fall.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will use an updated version of the Source engine (Left 4 Dead, Portal, among many others), with remarkably improved graphics and animations all around. The game is expected to feature new maps, characters and weapons, along with favorite content grabbed from the original -- de_dust, anyone?. It’s also been hinted by Valve they want their next title to be an e-sports title by nature.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next-gen consoles and the Mac."

On somewhat related news, Interplay and Beamdog announced during the weekend that a HD remake of MDK2 will be available this September for $14.99. The original MDK is an all-time favorite game of mine circa 1997, you know the Intel Pentium days.

Permalink to story.

CS:S has been one of the only games that I can recall not playing for a year or so and then pick it back up for a few months. Can't wait to see more details on CS:GO

So far it sounds good, read few reviews which were published by the "pros" and they praised it alot. Only thing I am worried is that it will be catered to consoles which may ruin the whole CS imho..

Still nothing about episode three... Why Valve, why?!

Still though, this are great news. I love CS. Hopefully they don't focus on the consoles like they did with Portal 2...

"Next-gen consoles"? None of that technology can even compete with the hardware that's being produced these days. I'm just saying that there's no point in glorifying our current generation of consoles as being something they're not.

lawfer said:
Still nothing about episode three... Why Valve, why?!

I cry every night, I am SERIOUSLY pissed they haven't announced anything yet. Stop making everything and anything, drop everything and start full steam on Episode 3 PLEASE!

Hopefully they don't focus on the consoles like they did with Portal 2...

Agreed, I don't like the fact that the menu is all consolised and that the lighting in all of the ending rooms are fake and reflect onto your own gun and characters, sucks big time.

Spent far too much time (often when I should be sleeping) planting/defusing the bomb.
Looking forward to seeing what can be done to bring CS up to date with modern shooters without spoiling the original.

Back