CPU cooling, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madara

Well, I need some help with my CPU cooling.
while I am running a game, the temperature of the processor rise up to 62-66C, normally the temperature was 27-31C, is there something wrong with my cool down system? my heat sink are around 750-800 RPM.

66c for a cpu isnt bad but it can be better. if you tell us what model your cpu is then we can help you more

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your system, and it is completely normal for temperatures to go to 66C or slightly more (up to 72C I think) when doing something CPU intensive like playing games.

There is absolutely no need for you to go out and buy another cooler. The reason you;d buy another cooler is if it is overheating, you want it quieter, or you've got overclocking on your mind. It will NOT make your computer go faster, last longer or make you popular with the ladies no matter what other people say.

CHM is almost completely right. Except for the part about cooling not making it last longer.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with your temps. You can expect your CPU to get a little warm when you make it sweat with an intensive app like...most games.

Theoretically they will last longer the cooler you run them, sure.

But cooling it furthur from normal operating temps will still give you a CPU lifetime much longer than the usable lifetime of a PC. You'd desperately feel the need to upgrade your computer before your CPU will die off.

For instance, would you still be using a Pentium II today? Yet Pentium II CPUs are still working fine without any cooling upgrades. Their motherboards are more likely to have died first, and good luck getting replacements of those today.

My processor only load up to 15% and it already 60s and 70s celcius, i wondering what happen when it at 80 something %.

there is probably a preset temp in your bios that will shut the computer down. if not it can freeze, BSOD, shut down or cause damage.

I wouldn't say probably. Ever since the age of dinosaurs, there's overheating safety shutoff built into computers, so you never need to worry about working your computer under insane temps.

If your computer never acts weird, you don't have a temp problem.

Feel free to download Prime95 and check your temps while running it. Prime95 is used to test system stability, and basically runs your processor at 100% as long as you need it to. If it doesn't report any problems, and your temps are still 60s and 70s, you're fine.

I think CMH and I said the same thing...except I wasn't going to mention the dinosaurs, being in the middle of a middle age crisis and all, :rolleyes: but if it makes you feel better, look in your bios and make sure the thermal cutoff hasn't been disabled.

hmm... didn't know it was possible to disable it.

Should probably check my BIOS and see...

I wouldn't say probably. Ever since the age of dinosaurs, there's overheating safety shutoff built into computers, so you never need to worry about working your computer under insane temps.

If your computer never acts weird, you don't have a temp problem.

Feel free to download Prime95 and check your temps while running it. Prime95 is used to test system stability, and basically runs your processor at 100% as long as you need it to. If it doesn't report any problems, and your temps are still 60s and 70s, you're fine.
So should i leave it alone? or replacing a new heatsink? Anything i could do? T_T

I say leave it. 67 degrees under load is not too hot. You could also try blowing out dust from your case and making sure wires are routed around your case efficiently to increase airflow

Like I said, if your computer never acts weird in any way, you're fine, and you can just leave it.

Like I said, if your computer never acts weird in any way, you're fine, and you can just leave it.
Thank you for your help. But i want to know about the normal temperature of the processor i am using (i7 860)

The cpu scales with load so while at very less load it underclocks hence you see the huge temp variance, for a i7 with default cooling solution the temps you posted are fine, there are some other factors like the ambient room temprature that also affects you prosessor's temp, if you live in the tropics like me the ambient temps can be by themselves as high as mid 30s during summer as this decreases you will notice a drop in the temps during winter.

If you still dont feel comfortable run prime for about 10 hours if your system doesnt crash/throw error message you are fine.

the temp there is not maximum cpu temps they are called tcase temps ... tjunction or tj temp is when a cpu will throtle down because of heat ...

here is a bit explaining a bit about it ...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=25611377&postcount=13

while operating near tcase is not bad as such ... u still ned to have that 25 to 30 delta to tjunction to be safe and ur temps are in that range so you dont have to worry much about it .

Well today, i load up the processor usage to the late 30s% and the early 40s% and i saw the temperature didn't really going above 72.7. Its pretty much stay under 70celcius some times it go up to 71celcius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back