CPU fan error...but fan is spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi! just assembled Asus P5RD1-V MoBo with Intel Pentium D 805 DualCore! the original intel fan (4pin) made too much noise so i got Speeze Intel P4 775 cooler (3pin) instead. i have set jumpers accordingly for 3pin fan....and the fan is spinning nice and quietly but during startup i experience a "fan error" message. cpu temperature is in normal parameters also (around 40^C). any ideas of what the problem might be?
thanks in advance
timtim

hi kobe and welcome to techspot :)

have you updated the BIOS? a newer version may fix it if the problem is a "false error"

though normally you don't need to move any jumpers to use a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin header. just plug it in like this:
4pin.jpg

try setting the jumper back to the "4 pin" setting and see if the error goes away. if the fan spins, then i wouldn't worry about the jumper setting.

that depends.

in the past you had to update the BIOS in DOS mode via a floppy disk

but now days you can update almost all BIOSes from a windows based program.

your motherboard's support CD will usually include a BIOS update program or you can goto the momo maker's website and view instructions there.

but before you do that, try the simple hardware setting that I mentioned before, because a power loss during a BIOS update will make your mobo into a paperweight ;)

IPEX Computing - FAN error

Some FANS only have 2 leads as opposed to 3.
If there are only 2 leads then the motherboard will not pick up the fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back