My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year

zyxel

Hi all

I am having problems with the fan of my Ninja 3 cpu cooler.

4 days ago, when I turned on the computer I found out that the CPU fan wasnt spinning (because of the "CPU Fan error" warning), and I tried to plug another fan in the CPU_FAN motherboard connector (the fan of the stock cpu cooler) and, when I started the computer it spinned, so I thought that the Ninja 3 fan was wrong and I decided to take it to the store where I bought it in order to get it replaced.
But next day, I turned on the computer and the fan was spinning at the correct RPM :S so I didnt take it to the store, and the next 2 days it worked too (yesterday I didnt use the computer), but today I started the computer and I got the "cpu fan error" warning again...

And here is my doubt:
today I have tried to plug the fan in another connector of the motherboard instead of the CPU_Fan one, and it worked :s and it seemed to me (because of the noise) that it was spinning faster than normal, and I found in the motherboard user guide that the connector in which I plugged the fan(CHA_FAN2) is a 12V one (I dont know if this is too much voltage, because it doesnt say the CPU_fan connector's voltage but I thought that the normal voltage for a fan was 5V, that would explain the higher speed I think, sorry for my ignorance)

here is the page of the motherboards manual with the information of the different fan connectors:

mY49P.png

Please help, Why does the fan spin when pluged in to the CHA_Fan connector but not in the CPU_Fan one? Can I use the computer with the fan connected to the cha_fan connector? For what I said, do you think that it is the cooler fan what is broken, or it can be the motherboard's cpu_fan connector? and why did the fan just stop spinning after 1 year of working properly? :S

thank you, and sorry for my english (Im spanish)

We likely need to know more about your system... It is not unusual for a quality CPU fan to give up after a year of hard use.
Hard to give you an answer without knowing the motherboard, power supply, operating system and such... as well as scans for infestations.

We likely need to know more about your system... It is not unusual for a quality CPU fan to give up after a year of hard use.
Hard to give you an answer without knowing the motherboard, power supply, operating system and such... as well as scans for infestations.

Ok, pc specifications are:

PSU: is a NOX Krypton 100W
motherboard: M4A89GTD pro/usb3 (as shown in the image of the manual)
SO: windows 7 64 bits
CPU: AMD 1090T
PC Case: Coolermaster HAF 912plus

Sorry but I dont understand "scans for infestations", what are "infestations?

Thank you :)

I wouldn't worry to much about the fan I'd simply replace it with a new one. If that fan gave you the same error you may not be getting power from the fan connector.

Do you have cool and quiet or something similar enabled in your bios?

Do you have any fan control utilities such as speed fan starting with windows?

Other than that, +1 to what cinders posted.

Back