CPU + laptop recommendation for a graduate student

I am a graduate student in computer science and my budget is around $1000 to $1200. I am looking for an efficient LENOVO laptop for my school and job. Most days I am working simultaneously in dreamviewer, eclips (with android sdk ! I hate to wait to run the android emulator for minutes) , wamp , word, excel, pdfs, have a database open, lots of tabs in my web browser, some video streaming or listening music and maybe editing an image in photoshop. Basically I want a GOOD performance! I want a fast one..that is why I don't care if it is a quad core or dual core. I guess the clockspeed is much more important.

Does anybody have a good reccomendation ? cuz I really need it..

Thank u so much I will appreciate it if you can help me.

I am a graduate student in computer science and my budget is around $1000 to $1200. I am looking for an efficient LENOVO laptop for my school and job. Most days I am working simultaneously in dreamviewer, eclips (with android sdk ! I hate to wait to run the android emulator for minutes) , wamp , word, excel, pdfs, have a database open, lots of tabs in my web browser, some video streaming or listening music and maybe editing an image in photoshop. Basically I want a GOOD performance! I want a fast one..that is why I don't care if it is a quad core or dual core. I guess the clockspeed is much more important.

Does anybody have a good reccomendation ? cuz I really need it..

Thank u so much I will appreciate it if you can help me.
Well seeing as how you want to go with Lenovo, my suggestion based on the fact you want to do lots of things graphical and such that you will need a decent enough laptop. In this case, here is my recommendation based on your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313584

Its got Dual GPU graphics for when you need that horsepower, a good CPU (Haswell i7), and plenty of HDD space (Its a Hybrid Drive so its got decent response time).

Its a good Lenvovo PC and its portable so if your wanting something to carry around, have some decent power, and be made by Lenovo then you not going to do any better at this range.

Go for a SAGER Laptop
https://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=3

models
NP8235
NP7355

Fit your budget one top offers 32GB of dual channel DDR3 RAM the second has 24GB of RAM DDR3. These are custom built for the customer. Those that have these type like them better.
Yea definitely the better deal is the Sager because Sager make some real good Custom notebooks for any user. I just suggested that Lenovo if your looking to only Lenovo. But I would give sager a look because you can get the most bang for your buck from them.

Yess definitely..The SSD would still have much better overall performance than the hybrid drive.
Thank you so much guys , I will consider all these informations. Anything u wanna add ?

If I am buying a laptop over $1000 , I don' t wanna miss anything ;)

Yess definitely..The SSD would still have much better overall performance than the hybrid drive.
Thank you so much guys , I will consider all these informations. Anything u wanna add ?

If I am buying a laptop over $1000 , I don' t wanna miss anything ;)
Yea, though in my book if you can grab a better GPU or processor without an SSD you can always add an SSD later. For me, I bought a higher end MSI GT 70 Gaming notebook with the upper GPU over an SSD then just later picked up an SSD on sale and put it in myself. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Yea, though in my book if you can grab a better GPU or processor without an SSD you can always add an SSD later.
But then as a DIY'er, we don't have issues transferring the OS. We have to remember when helping others, the simple solution is usually the best reply.

TBH I'd take he hardware hit to be using a laptop with an SSD. That is for my usage habits and because I value time saved.

If you know how to image/swap hard drives, then the question of "do I buy SSD later for cheaper, and swap it myself?" becomes moot.

Hey there fellas.
I have two choices rigth now :

BOTH LAPTOPS ARE LENOVO

$488
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
  • Operating system: Windows 8.1 Standard 64 - English
  • Display: 15.6" HD WXGA (1366 X 768) LED Backlight w/ 720p HD Camera
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • Memory: 8 GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM Memory
  • Hard Drive: 1TB, 5400RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive: DVD Recordable Serial ATA
OR

$765
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
  • Operating system: Windows 8.1 Standard 64 - English
  • Display: 15.6" HD WXGA (1366 X 768) LED Backlight w/720p HD Camera
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics
  • Memory: 8 GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM Memory
  • Hard Drive: 1TB, 5400RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive: DVD Recordable Serial ATA

I am trying to figure it out. which one I should pick ? first one is $488 and second one is $765 so they both have the same CPU , MEMORY and HDD . Like I said before I am not a gamer at all. Most days I am working simultaneously in dreamviewer, eclips (with android sdk ! I hate to wait to run the android emulator for minutes) , wamp , word, excel, pdfs, have a database open, lots of tabs in my web browser, some video streaming or listening music and maybe editing an image in photoshop.

So does NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics make any huge differences in my laptop's performance ? Cuz if I buy the first one I will be able to buy an 250GB samsung 840 pro SDD and I will replace it with the original 5400RPM HDD.

I guess replacing HDD with SDD gives much of a performance increase then having a NVIDIA Geforce instead of Intel HD Graphics 4600.. what do you think ?

( BTW here is the video show how to replace HDD with SDD
)

Back