CPU makes an electric leak like sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

For a while my computer have been making a electric leak like sound whenever the CPU usage gets high. However, lately it started to make it more often. For example with anti-virus searches and malware search softwares, the CPU usage goes up to 80 percent and this weird noise comes from the CPU.

This sound sample i have recorded for you to picture the sound. This was recorded with microphone very near to CPU. The background humming noise comes from the fan, but I am very certain that this leak-like sound does not come from fan because it does not have a specific pattern and only occur with high CPU uges. The CPU usage was around 80% in this recording.

rapidshare.com/files/336732081/buzzyNoise.mp3

For information, my configurations are:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2 GB RAM
Motherboard MSI 915P/G Neo2 Platinium ed.

so not that bad.

Thanks for your help in advance.

P4 has always been a power hungry CPU, that said, I'd say you better check your PSU first, is it providing correct voltage on all the rails?

You can also test some of the parts for noise by touching them with the eraser on the end of a pencil ........ an old trick ;)

Also, try to check temperatures of various zones on your motherboard; although i still believe PSU is more likely suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back