Cpu making grinding sound and vibrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessonly

Here's how the problem started..
My 17" crt display went kaput, and the monitor started emitting smoke. I closed the power immediately and that was it.
Forward 2 days later...
called in LG service and the guy fixed my monitor! bingo.
But now when I start my computer, it makes a REAL LOUD noise and everything vibrates wildly. the noise and the vibration 'stay' for 2-3 minutes before stopping.
Now I have searched a bit and come across several probable causes - and eliminated quite a few , like hard-disk, dvd-drive , wires touching fan..

What I really want to know is that could there be any relation between my monitor going dead an smoking, and the cpu vibration?

The system is functioning just fine right now and a soft reboot does not cause any sound or vibration. Also the problem does not happen everytime..

Specs -
17 inch crt LG
amd x2 4000
asus m2a-mx
1gb ram
no pci cards , pci-e cards..

Hmm, the only moving parts on a computer are the fans and the hard disk itself. This might sound crazy but have tried to to remove the side panels and listen/see what is vibrating?

This might sound crazy but have tried to to remove the side panels and listen/see what is vibrating?
nothing cray about this :) . This is first thing I tried! I disconnected the hard-disk dvd-drive and all the wires from all the ports (usb, PS2 ), checked that no wires were hitting the fan.

check to see if there is something loose on the chassis itself,i had that once.
Do you still hear the grinding noise with the side panel open?

Do not connect the DVD drive and hard disk then turn on the computer on, does the computer still vibrate?

Do you still hear the grinding noise with the side panel open?
Yes
Do not connect the DVD drive and hard disk then turn on the computer on, does the computer still vibrate?
Yes again

please note that sometimes the pc does not vibrate and sometimes it does..

You'll just have to disconnect everything and reconnect it one by one. Process of elimination should point out what is vibrating. The only moving parts left are the fans I believe

Had this happen to me, my fan had come loose which will eventually cause your computer to overheat if left alone
It caused my motherboard to fry, not sure if it could have caused your monitor breakdown.

The fan can cause a slight vibration in the computer and a pretty annoying rattling sometimes vacume like sound. it happens a lot during startup.

still now after i replaced the fan when i boot up my computer the fan makes a bunch of different noises it has done this for a while now but i just ignore it now because my computer works fine eitherway lol

computers make noises for different reasons which seldom means something is wrong, i've gotten used to the constant rattling in my computer, it's amazing how quite the room is when the thing is off.

It could be your fan or it could be nothing at all, i would guess it's your fan though.

Thanks for replying everyone! it seems that the fan is the culprit here. I guess I'll remove the power supply of wire of the cpu fan to check he cpu fan to check it. I have already checked the psu fan. and from wha I can tell it looked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back