Cpu overclocking itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameBrandHuman

Hi. I have a celeron D 3.33ghz processor in a ecs rc410l-m mobo 1gb ddr2 533 ram(I think) it ran as 3.33ghz for about 6-8 months. then all of a sudden one day when I turned it on and went to play a game I realized the fps were a bit better. I changed nothing in the bios and checked the bios its all the same as it was. the processor right now is runnin 4.17ghz on stock cooling @ 39c idle. so far it seems that it is stable I can play games and have not had a problem its really wierd. cpuz says the fsb is 666.7 tho it should read 533 I believe. ram is at 266.5. I dont know what to do and I dont want this to fry my system. any help will be greatly apreciated. thanks....

Attachments

• cpuz1.JPG
    cpuz1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 10
  • cpuz2.JPG
    cpuz2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 8
I wonder what CMOS reports your multiplier to be, in CPU settings.

It is very strange, as if your CMOS has reset to defaults, which is overclocked?!

Or someone has been fiddling with your computer!

Either way, it's better for it. The increase from 3.33ghz to 4.17ghz is about a 25% increase. :)

The bios reports cpu clock default, fsb 533, dram 267, and the speed as 3.33ghz. The only option i could change on this board is the cpu clock and its at default. This deserves a big "WTF" and i hope it isnt something that is going to damamge the system soon. and im going to assume the next question is going to be if i am using some kind of software to overclock it. short answer NO. only overclocking software i have on the machine is ati tool for the 8600gt i have. double WTF. heck i dont even know of any software to overclock cpu if any exists at all lol.

I would suspect something is giving you wrong readings. You might want to reset your BIOS settings to the factory default settings and flash your BIOS if there is a newer version. Consider replacing your CMOS battery as well.

Not sure what you're asking. Whether or not the RAM is running in single or dual channel is irrelevant to the clock frequency.

Its 266.5 because its running as single channel ddr. I dont know but im sure the ram is fine. ive had no errors. im going to restart and check it again. checked it it says 267 but thats 1 channel of ddr inst it? belarc advisor says
4.15 gigahertz Intel Celeron D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS RC410L/800-M 1.0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080012 06/21/2006

Eh? That has nothing at all to do with your RAM's frequency.

You are confusing two separate technologies.

Through technological advances they've been able to improve the data throughput of RAM without increasing the clock frequency. Hence, DDR SDRAM, DDR2 SDRAM, and DDR3 SDRAM.

Running RAM in "Dual Channel" mode is nothing more than using two modules of RAM that are extremely closely matched specification wise as a single 128-bit device to improve performance. This has absolutely nothing to do with your RAM's frequency.

Something isn't right. I don't think your RAM would stand a 100% overclock, so something is giving you improper readings or your RAM's stock throughput/frequency isn't as you said it is.

I also don't think your CPU would stand a 25% overclock with the stock heatsink and still remain at 29C. Something is very fishy.

*Edit*

Download Everest and post the readings relevant to all of this.

*Edit*

Err, nevermind with what I said. It appears to be posting the DDR clock as the base frequency, so that's settled. Your RAM is fine.

Your CPU's clock multiplier ought to be at 19-20 to set your CPU at it's stock core clock frequency. What does Everest say about your CPU?

Ok heres cpu. The thing is that the bios doesnt have an option for multiplier. so I wouldnt know why its at 25. wow this is FN bizarre!

Attachments

• Report.txt
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
Yep, it shouldn't have an option to alter the multiplier. It's generally locked on CPUs so resellers can't toy with them and sell them as rated for higher frequencies than they are. I'll look at that and edit my post.

*Edit*

Your CPU's multiplier has a range, which is odd to me so I looked up the factory default settings on the Celeron D 356. Your CPU's multiplier ought to be at x25. However, your FSB is only supposed to be at 133MHz and it's at 167MHz.

133MHz x 25 = 3325MHz = 3.33GHz

167MHz x 25 = 4175MHz = 4.18GHz

A difference of 850MHz. Your FSB is overclocked by 33MHz-34MHz.

ok ill edit this one too! lets talk lol! either way its wierd! its like my mobo decided to give me an auto overclock without me having to adjust it.sorry forgot to add this mobo has only one overclocking option!

:) Edited that post, and yeah, all is well. Your FSB has been increased by 33MHz-34MHz which is fine as long as your system isn't unstable. Not much reason to change it unless you just don't want the extra strain on your system.

ok no use editing then! only thing is i promise to you i havent changed a thing in the bios. this is absolutley doin it itself! should i be worried about that? bios says default on clock!

Well you said you've used other overclocking tools for your VPU. I'm not familiar with that software at all, maybe someone else will hop in and let us know whether or not that software is capable of altering your FSB.

However, in the mean time, I will go check that out as well as your motherboard manual and see if there are any settings for you to alter the FSB so you can set it how you want it.

*Edit*

You can indeed changed the external FSB according to page 34 of your motherboard's manual. It's under the "CPU PnP Setup Page" section with the option labeled as "OverClock CPU FSB Clock".

there is an option for fsb but its at default. im not a nub. i know your not saying that. but i changed nothing. thats the only option and i havent touched it. and ati tool is only for vpu as far as i know!

I'm not trying to question your intelligence, but you are here looking for help.

All I'm saying is, your external FSB is running at a 33MHz overclock according to software you are running within the Windows environment.

It should be at 133MHz by default. If that's what it says in the BIOS, either it's wrong or the software you're getting reads from within Windows is. I doubt the latter because you started looking into all of this initially due to an increase in frame rates, implying that your system is indeed overclocked. Reset your BIOS to factory default settings and see what it does to the FSB within the BIOS as well as Everest/CPU-Z.

video steals memory from your main physical memory
try reset the software on video card see if it changes the bios readings

Samstoned said:

What are you talking about? No where in this entire thread that I can see is anyone questioning the RAM's capacity.

Samstoned said:

[CENTER]HUH?????
huh.jpg
[/CENTER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back