CPU running warm

mcmurphy12

Hi!

My sister has a HP Pavilion dv6 with an Intel Core i5-540 processor. According to RealTemp, the CPU idles at about 60 degrees and her computer always feels warm.

She is an Architecture Major and uses programs like Adobe Indesign, and Autodesk Revit which make the temps go up to like 80-90 degrees.

Is this normal or is this too hot?

that is a little "warm" to put it lightly. When was the last time you or your sister tried cleaning the dust out of the heatsink assemblies? Turning off the computer and blowing the vents and fan exhaust port with compressed air could help a LOT depending on the build up.

I suggest doing this outside by the way, just in case it is really bad, and I personally remove the keyboard if I can to get in there better, but by all means this is not required.

Those are perfectly fine temperature for laptops..

Really? my 6 year old Thinkpad idles around 44C and under load gets around 75c. When the fan on the heatsink assembly died, the temperature jumped to numbers similar to what the op is quoting (actually my laptop broke 100c and kept on going lol)

60*C idle is not perfect. mine (C2D) idles for 47*C and with air-conditioning it could go near 40*C.

like madboyv1 suggested, compressed air would help if there are lots of dusts inside the 'hole' which the heatsink is located. although i prefer home vacuum cleaner but i guess either should work.

Back