CPU Temp at 99 celsius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought and installed a complete computer ( Asus P5Q with a Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83ghz).

I just booted up the computer and the CPU temperature in the BIOS is 99 celsius.

I didn't add any temperature paste on the CPU since there already was some paste on the heatsink but I had some problem to insert correcly the heatsink on the board.

Do you have any ideas of what could be the problem?
Do you think I should add more temperature paste on the CPU?

I will remove and put the heatsink back tomorrow as soon as I can.

It may be a defective motherboard... 99C would melt through the board. It wouldn't hurt to clean off all the thermal paste and apply a clean thin layer of fresh paste

It may be a defective motherboard... 99C would melt through the board. It wouldn't hurt to clean off all the thermal paste and apply a clean thin layer of fresh paste

I've removed the thermal paste and replace it with a new layer as said and now the CPU is at 45-46 celsius. It's better but I'm still far from the 38 degrees max. described in the CPU instruction booklet.

What kind of CPU Heatsink/Fan is installed? You may need a good aftermarket HSF to replace the one you have

What kind of CPU Heatsink/Fan is installed? You may need a good aftermarket HSF to replace the one you have

The one that came with the CPU. An Intel "no-tools" installation heatsink. I had to guess how to install it since the manual that came with the CPU was useless!

I thought so... You have to make sure that all four plastic pins are evenly pushed through and locked into the motherboard. I much prefer using the types that have a metal backplate, and uses metal screws and springs to attach the heatsink assembly

Not true, I have a friend who is a cheap SOB and he won't clean his heat sink, so his CPU runs between 90 and 110 Celsius idle->load. Been running like this for 6 months. No melting. lol

Whatever you do, First, be sure your heat sink is firmly connected to the CPU with quality thermal paste... just barely enough... as too much performs as an insulator.
What you report is not normal, and is a problem that should be remedied... either the detection system is bad, or your cooling system isn't quite right.
You should not expect heat ranges exceeding 64c under normal run time. But it could be something simple. Many of those temperature aids don't work as they are supposed to, until you diddle with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back