CPU versus video card for gaming

Alright, so I am looking at building my own gaming computer on a relatively low budget, and I want it to be able to play games such as Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (when it's finally released obviously) smoothly, but not necessarily on the highest settings. The processor and video card I am looking at are:

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I'm not sure how good of a graphics card and CPU I need, so does anyone know if these will work well for my needs? How powerful of a processor do I need if I am adding a decent video card? Any information is appreciated.

This is going to sound weird, but in general (and assuming you are playing at 1920 x 1080 or under) I would go with the CPU upgrade to a quad. Most new releases are using 4 cores, some six. oddly enough the game you mention specifically (StarCraft II) uses only 2 cores, but does not run well on your CPU. It needs more memory bandwidth and L3 cache as spelled out here by TS's own Steve Walton.

https://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html

Yea go with the I5-2500K and that 6850 will handle starcraft at medium to high settings but i have heard that diablo 3 is more hardcore so maybe think about a 6950

Back