CPU voltage related to RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick'o ram

Okay so I was browsing through my BIOs the yesterday when I noticed that my RAM was running at 1066, it should be rated at 1600. So when I manually put in the timings and voltage and restart my computer a led comes on with my motherboard saying that the CPU has had a moderate voltage increase. I am unsure why.

What did you think was happening when you manually put in the timings and voltage and performed the restart?

I thought I was setting the timings and voltage exclusively for the RAM, I am wondering why the CPU voltage changed as well...

maybe the new ram settings caused all your settings to be erased and defaults loaded??????

try using auto timings :)

Going above 1066MHz with an Intel X58 northbridge is essentially overclocking.

The northbridge on your board -- regardless of what Gigabyte has done -- is designed for operation at 1066MHz. Anything above this is out of spec and requires overclocking, in a sense.

X58_blockdiagram.gif

What you have in your hands is an enthusiast board: It doesn't follow Intel's spec and to do so, it has to raise the DIMM voltage to keep your system stable. "Overvolting" is a common overclocking technique to achieve higher speeds, since often times more power is required to push components to their highest end. Your board does this automatically for you per Gigabyte's intended design.

Is there any danger? I'm absolutely certain it will shorten the life span of your RAM. But if your RAM is designed to last for 25 years, then what's 10 fewer years hurt? :)

And what does this have to have with your CPU core voltage? I'm not an engineer... I've no clue. :haha: But I'm sure it is related.

Is there any danger? I'm absolutely certain it will shorten the life span of your RAM. But if your RAM is designed to last for 25 years, then what's 10 fewer years hurt? :)

And what does this have to have with your CPU core voltage? I'm not an engineer... I've no clue. :haha: But I'm sure it is related.

that ram has lifetime warrenty :)

Well overvolting the QPI can hurt the cpu as its designed different than previous intel chipsets. qpi also reflects your dram voltage because they are linked.< to answer the question above.

In your bios make sure you have the qpi/dram voltage at 1.65, higher than this could damage the cpu and ram, but more than likely the cpu before the ram. You have to set the overclocking to manual in order to unlink the dram and cpu frequency.

Start with the cpu, keeping the multiplier low, something like 17-18. That will help you from killing/damaging something if you just so happen to not figure out how to unlink your frequencies. Set your dram timings ex 8-8-8-24 or w/e they may be, Then go back to make sure your dram/qpi voltage is 1.65. You can leave everything else on auto as far as cpu overclock and vcore.

Hope this helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back