Crash, high pitched beep, PF usage more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarknessTear

Specs: OS: WinXP Professional 5.1 SP2 (Build #2600) CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (1152x864x32bpp 85Hz) Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [D800] Memory: 1GB

My PC is giving me some pretty annoying issues. To cover the bases I know of first... all of my hard drives are in good condition, I use Disk Keeper regularly. When I try to play games like World of Warcraft, Counter Strike Source, or even sometimes flash games... I'll notice that my PC gets laggier and laggier.. and if I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del, it says my PF usage is around 900 and rising. It eventually crashes and there's this high pitched nonstop beep.

Not really sure what the deal is.. my computer has been doing this since I built it.

What are the specs of those hard drives? Your power supply may not be big enough for your hardware

From Everest:

Drive #1 - Maxtor 52049H4 (19 GB)
Drive #2 - IC35L080AVVA07-0 (76 GB)
Drive #3 - WDC WD12 00VE-00KWT0 USB Device (111 GB)

You're using a particularly old Maxtor drive there. It may well be that it is failing, producing I/O errors and slowing the PC down.

Download SpeedFan and check the SMART status of the internal drives - it doesn't work on USB drives.

Also, un-related, is 1152x864 the native resolution for your monitor? It's a strange one to be in. If you have a 17" LCD then you'll probably find that 1280x1024 is a lot clearer because it is the native resolution.

SpeedFan says both drives are fine, the old Maxtor drive is just storage, the 80GB is the main drive.

Maxtor
The overall fitness for this drive is 97%.
The overall performance for this drive is 97%.

Both of them have "warning" on "power on hours count" though.

Disconnect the oldest WD drive and see if the system runs smoother without any hi-pitched noise. Those WD drives are known for making noise when they get older. The Page File usage can be a sign of poor hard drive performance too, no matter what speedfan says.

"I use Disk Keeper regularly"
This practice can wear out drives prematurely

Okay so... I ran The Last Remnant Benchmark on my PC 4 times, and each time the average framerate got higher and higher... until the final time when it got really low and crashed, then I restarted and ran it again, and it crashed on the first run this time.

Disconnect the oldest WD drive and see if the system runs smoother without any hi-pitched noise. Those WD drives are known for making noise when they get older. The Page File usage can be a sign of poor hard drive performance too, no matter what speedfan says.

"I use Disk Keeper regularly"
This practice can wear out drives prematurely

Yeah, I didn't start running Disk Keeper until recently, and I only did it to improve the condition of my hard drives. My problems happened before I started using Disk Keeper. Also, the high pitched beep only happens after my PC crashes, and it doesn't stop until I turn my PC off. I've also run the games on different drives with the same results.

Also, on SpeedFan.. what are the little flame symbols for? D:

Technically the flame symbols mean that something is too hot, but they're not accurate at all. Just use them for getting the temperature and ignore the symbols.

What are your temperatures?

There are extremely hot readings here... if the readings are anything near accurate... Pull the side of the case off and rerun the temps

With the case open:

GPU 72C
System 39C
CPU 49C
Aux 52C
HD1 48C
Core 54C
Core 72C

I'm gonna test some stuff and see what happens.

Looks like you may need to clean the thermal paste off the CPU and apply fresh paste. The core temps are on the high side

The GPU temperature matches the 2nd core temperature.
The first core temperature is a bit hot but about right for an AMD system.

HD1 (where did HD0 and HD2 go?) is quite toasty probably from being sandwiched in between the other drives. Can you spread them out at all?

Looks like you may need to clean the thermal paste off the CPU and apply fresh paste. The core temps are on the high side

Soo I did that and my temps are now...

GPU 87C
System 39C
CPU 34C
AUX 39C
HD1 40C
Core 35C
Core 86C

I just ran a game a little before I did this though.

Note: When I checked the temp through bios it said 34.5C for CPU

The temps are better. How is the PC lag now? What antivirus/anti malware programs do you use?

I have returned. It hasn't improved, and the video card is still overheating! Also, the speed of the fan on my video card is only 20%. Anything I can do about it? Google doesn't help *sigh*

This is what happens after running a game for a short time.. like maybe 10 minutes:

lame.png

So, I took my video card out, applied new thermal grease, cleaned the fan... I'll let you guys know what happens in a bit.

what is the size of your psu? google psu calculator and add 30% to the results to outervisions calculator.

You may need to add more muffin fans to cool the system down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back