Creating a second wifi home network

Beemer

I am trying to setup an ip security camera network inside of my home that does NOT connect to
the internet through my home network.

The ip security camera network has both wifi and cabled cameras, connecting to a POE nvr.

I want to use an asus RT-N66U router to handle the wifi camera traffic to the nvr, and the camera’s that I can run Ethernet cable to, I want to plug directly into the POE ports of the nvr.

At some point in the future, I might want to be able to possibly forward 1 or 2 camera’s to the internet
through my home network for remote viewing when I’m away, but for now I just need to know
exactly what to do with my security camera router and how to bring the wifi cameras through
the router to the nvr properly without conficts.

In particular I want to setup up the camera router just in case I want to forward camera viewing
in the future. So I think the IP settings of the camera router are going to be important as to not
conflict with my home router for future forwarding.

So some of my wifi cameras IP addresses are as follows:

I believe my nvr’s IP address is 192.168.254.2

So how do I setup the camera router’s IP address? 192.168.2.1??? just in case my home’s router
is 192.168.1.1?

My problem is I don’t know what information they are asking for and how its related to what I’m trying
to do when I configure the camera router and then the nvr. Say for instance the nvr has a Network settings
page. What IP address are they asking for? The camera router’s LAN IP address or the WIFI address? Subnet mask? Gateway??? Primary DNS server???

And what should those be so I don’t have conflicts in the future?
I believe I should make the camera’s have static IP address’s into the camera router and nvr so they don’t keep changing?

I would like to set this second network up as clean as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Beemer

Just to be clear; the camera(s) will NEVER be accessed remotely via the internet - - so how will you access them?

Just to be clear; the camera(s) will NEVER be accessed remotely via the internet - - so how will you access them?

Everything will be recorded and reviewed at home through the nvr. However, at some point in the future when I feel comfortable the system is working well and that network is secure, I might want to forward 2 camera's to be viewed via the internet.

We can isolate the camera network such that
  1. anything on net#2 can go outbound
  2. nothing from the internet can get inbound to the cameras
  3. anything connecting to the new net#2 can see all devices on net#2
is that satisfactory?

Code:
Goal:  independent network not accessible from primary or the internet.

starting point:

isp===Primary router-- wired via router slots
              |
              + . . . wifi devices if any

assume Primary Router has address 192.168.1.1
AND you should not be using the default login/password.  if so change it.

isolated subnet:

isp===Primary router-- wired via router slots
              |
              + . . . wifi devices if any
              |
              |  (everything below will be isolated from everything above)
              |
              +--- wired --- (wan slot)--- NET#2 router(lan slots) - - any desired wired connections
                                                |
                                                |
                                                + . . . any new wifi devices

How to setup NET#2 router:

wire any PC -> NET#2 and do not connect this router to anything else.

1) login, change the admin password (I would make it the same as the Primary)
   2) save the configuration which will likely force you to re-login

3) setup the wifi SSID and encryption password
   4) save the configuration again

5) on the LAN setup; change the router address to 192.168.2.1  (aka #2 is the second router for clarity)
   6) set DHCP active and the DHCP range to be 2-254
   7) save once more and you will loose the connection
   8) use 192.168.2.1 to login to NET#2 with the new password
   9) create a backup of the whole setup

Net#2 is ready to use BUT...

if you need to use the camera's IP as a location of the camera, then you will want
   fixed addresses for each one.  *DO NOT* do this in the camera setup - - let them get addresses
   from the router.  Remove any config presently in every camera and let them use DHCP.

1) login on NET#2
       2) find the LAN setup
       3) look for Address Reservation
       4) take the MAC of a camera and give it a fixed address
           of 192.168.2.x where    50 > X < 254

Save the configuration

Now disconnect NET#2 from the PC and wire it into one of the slots of the Primary router.

Google for IPScan24 ( http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/news/ )
Download and install

As a SCAN range enter
   192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.50-192.168.2.254

let it find the wifi connections

Btw: it is possible to make both networks (x.1.1 & x.2.1) work together and to allow internet inbound traffic to access all the 192.168.2.x devices. I've not shown that per your request of isolation.

Thanks jobeard! I have some work cut out for me... lets see if I can follow your instructions. I usually do this on the weekend so this weekend I'll be busy setting this up! Hopefully you'll be around to see if I encounter problems...

Also, when I set up my nvr, I should connect the Net #2 router from one of its LAN ports to the LAN port on the nvr, correct? That way all the wifi camera traffic will flow into the nvr to be recorded. So when I set up the nvr LAN settings, its asking me for the Net #2 LAN settings?? this is an area I get confused with.

You said the NVR. I showed you above how to fix the camera IPs using address reservation.

Hey; maybe YOU mention the NVR and I called it the NET#2. Make the NVR address 192.168.2.1 and follow the above.

The address of Net#2, 192.168.2.1; assuming the WAN port is connected to the other router

Finished up setting up the network, installing the nvr on it and connecting all camera's except one. That one would not connect either directly to the nvr (poe port on back) or hard wired through this network router. I changed the ip address to something on that network 192.168.2.XX with gateway of 192.168.2.1 etc, but the nvr would not accept it. So I'm good for now. All camera successfully recorded for a week and playback was perfect. Thank you so much for your help and guidance.

Now that I'm confident in adding cameras and recordings are working properly, I think I might want to try port forwarding 1 or 2 of the camera's through this network to the home's internet network and to an iphone.

I am trying to setup an ip security camera network inside of my home that does NOT connect to
the internet through my home network.

The ip security camera network has both wifi and cabled cameras, connecting to a POE nvr.

I want to use an asus RT-N66U router to handle the wifi camera traffic to the nvr, and the camera’s that I can run Ethernet cable to, I want to plug directly into the POE ports of the nvr.

You don't need separate WiFi.. why do you want to isolate the camera traffic? If you want separate networks you can do this with a VLAN.. some routers will let you set one up.. all it is is another network on the SAME physical topology. Sounds complicated, its not.

I believe my nvr’s IP address is 192.168.254.2

So how do I setup the camera router’s IP address? 192.168.2.1??? just in case my home’s router
is 192.168.1.1?

If that's true your gateway should be 192.168.254.1. A gateway is simply the default path that network takes through the router. If your NVR (assume its a router) is that IP then it's gateway should be 254.2 or 254.1, try 1 first it might assign it's own IP to itself for admin purposes.

FYI a network 192.168.2.x 192.168.1.x are 2 SEPARATE networks they can't talk if they are using different routers, so you can't use 192.168.2.1 since it will not see 192.168.1.1.

Since you said you don't want the camera network on your home network you can't use your internet gateway that would put them on the same network.

What IP address are they asking for? The camera router’s LAN IP address or the WIFI address? Subnet mask? Gateway??? Primary DNS server???

That one, but WiFi should be the SAME device just on WiFi..

Gateway is where traffic is sent through but its not reachable as an IP target it's only for route traffic, same as broadcast it's a way to broadcast messages on the same network usually x.x.x.254

DNS is simply where your devices look to locate other devices by name.

Last edited:
You don't need separate WiFi.. why do you want ...
It is true, but that's what he desires so we created that topology. There are also other choices, but even with the current isolation, a simple persistent route in the router can rejoin the two networks.

Back