Creating ISO images in Win 7

Chuck B

seems like everything I try tells me I need an ISO to make an ISO...this is definitely counter-productive and a bit stupid.

I finally found (I thought) something that would allow me to make an ISO (It's on Windows 7, didn't even know it was there!) I tried to create an ISO for restoration purposes. What happens? I get an ISO. But I had over 857 megs of files....and the ISO is 1.37 MB. You read that correctly, 1.37MB. Obviously, NOT all there!

I'm trying to create an ISO to try one last solution on my External drive. I create (or assume I create) from a folder, but I STILL get 1.37 MB. There's nothing in the ISO. NOTHING

OK, it's obvious that I must be doing something wrong. The question is : WHAT? how do I get that ISO to be the correct size so I can attempt my last solutions?

What are you trying to make an ISO of? If it's to image the HDD you might do better with Ghost, or DrvImg (.xml)

What are you trying to make an ISO of? If it's to image the HDD you might do better with Ghost, or DrvImg (.xml)

noted, but irrelevant. Why I'm trying to make an ISO is also immaterial. This relates to my other post "New Hard drive, more trouble"

I'm simply trying to create a bootable CD, (Or DVD, if you prefer)

I am looking for what I did wrong...obviously I didn't so something correctly or I'd have a full image, not 1.37 MB

In the context of my question, why you want to make an ISO is NOT irrelevant, I asked that because as I said before, if it was to image the HDD Ghost or DrvImg would do better. As I can't read your mind, I find your response rather rude & ungrateful.

Rude? Perhaps. But I really do not see how answering what the ISO is for is needed when the question is "Why am I ending up with a blank, 1.37MB ISO?" I'm asking what I did wrong. How does answering what the ISO is for give any insight as to what I did?
I really do not see a connection. That's why I say the question is not relevant.

The question remains: What did I do wrong that I wound up with a blank, 1.37MB ISO? or better: How do I get the whole folder of files into the ISO?

You are not understanding why you are being asked that question. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image tells you what an iso file is. You are assuming it must be an image of your HDD, which indeed would be very large, but it is usually an CD image of something else, such as an install CD of some random piece of software. For example, if you want to install a live linux system, you typically download an ISO file, which is an image of an install disk for the OS, not an actual copy of an OS.

So you are being a bit one-track minded. You probably want to create an image of your HDD, but Doctor John cannot assume that, he asks what is it you are trying to do - a perfectly sensible thing to ask, since the correct answer (from your point of view) is to use Ghost or Drivimg and you do not get an iso at the end of that at all.

seems like everything I try tells me I need an ISO to make an ISO...this is definitely counter-productive and a bit stupid.
Agreed, if that is the case. What is everything though? I've never seen something like 'you need an iso to make an iso'.

I finally found (I thought) something that would allow me to make an ISO (It's on Windows 7, didn't even know it was there!)
What in Windows makes an iso? There is a windows backup thing in Windows 7, I don't know what it outputs though.

Like others have said/implied: What are you trying to do, its being asked because I don't think we know what in Windows makes an iso file that you are using. If you are trying to back up your system, there are probably better ways. Are you trying to "image" your Windows install? I think Windows' backup thing will do that, but like I said I don't know what it creates, maybe it does create an ISO. But you never said what you were using, nor what your goal is. That is why you got the responses you did.

There are all kinds of software packages that will make isos for you. But in 99% of these cases you are trying to image an optical disk. There are other things that will mount iso images for you. There are also programs that burn isos (but Win 7 will burn them for you).

So I think if you are trying to back up your Windows install to an iso file, and using something that came with Windows by default, then that is why you aren't getting the desired result. That is likely the wrong approach to what you want to achieve.

OK, let me explain my situation a little better. Very simply, I am trying to restore my Windows XP. I have recovery disks. But in order to restore the program in the way I need to, I needed to make some changes to 6 INF files. I need to create the boot disk. In order to create that boot disk, I'm told I need to use an ISO. Every program I downloaded or investigated (There have been about a dozen) Tells me that in order to create an ISO, I needed an ISO. What I found in Win 7 (I found it when right clicked the mouse on the drive letter) said "CREATE ISO IMAGE FILE". And all the methods I found for restoring windows XP (Different computer) said I needed to have an ISO so I could make my adjustments. I needed to extract the files, make the changes, inject into the ISO, then burn the ISO to CD. But making an ISO directly from the CD seemed to be an unavailable option.

When I found that ISO creator (See, I can't afford to spend a fortune restoring my XP, or go out to buy another H/D) I thought I had a chance to get the file burned properly after making my adjustments. See?

But, as I said, when I tried to create the ISO, it just gave me an Empty ISO file, exactly 1.37MB in size.

So, you see, what I am trying to do is find out why the ISO file is empty....I wanted to know what I was doing wrong. Going into an explanation of why I wanted to make the ISO was, and in my opinion still is, Immaterial.

Maybe making the ISO through Windows 7 won't work. But should the ISO be empty? (If you don't know how to the find the ISO creator (Create ISO image File) under Windows 7, I can't say I blame you; I stumbled on it by accident.

So, I again ask: What difference does it make what I am doing with the ISO? I just want to know why it's empty and what I've done wrong (if anything) to leave it empty.

I have everything I need to try a last attempt at restoring XP...everything except a bootable ISO with files! I can't use the unedited restore disks because of the type of drive.

All I want to know is why my ISO file remained empty after burning, and what I did wrong.

I'm clear on everything else... I'm just not understanding why my ISO creation remained 1.37MB and without files. If that can be cleared up, I can try this last method to restore XP.

To those of you I have offended, I apologize -- I'm just plain frustrated not being able to use all my XP programs, which include among other things, my Camera utilities!

What program gives you the option to create an ISO in Windows 7? I have Windows 7, and I don't see that option.

Strange. Call up the hard drive (or drives) Right click on the HD. It's 4th down for me. (Says create ISO Image) If it doesn't show up for you, maybe it's something I downloaded..or my sister did? If it STILL doesn't show, Then I will have to assume it's something I downloaded. I will see if I can find a name.

Cinders -- I just checked and it's gone, so it must have been something I downloaded. There was only one file left, that was an ALEX FEINMAN creation, so I guess it's all for naught.

I guess I have to find another way to create a boot disk with my needed changes. Oh, well. Thanks for trying, all... I guess I'm just too unlucky to find things that work for me.

I just started up 7 in a VM to see. I can confirm I do not have a create ISO option either.

I'm a bit clearer on what you are trying to do. I still don't 'get' the need iso to make iso. I think you are saying whatever you are trying to make an iso with wants an image to modify. I can understand that if that is what you are doing. But your posts have been unclear at best on this.

Perhaps take a look at nLite and see if that is a better approach to what you want to do?

The way I read this (puzzling) statement about 'need an iso to write an iso' is better understood as....

To burn an iso image to optical media, you need to initially prepare the appropriate iso image somewhere on your HDD.

Bootable CD... 1.37 MB size... sounds like the application can't make a proper bootable disc, having only the floppy emulation image.

What program gives you the option to create an ISO in Windows 7? I have Windows 7, and I don't see that option.
If if there's a Windows app to create an ISO, I'm not aware of it. I know you can right click an ISO with Win 7 Pro, and you get a context item to burn it. It's actually easier than firing up "ImgBurn" to do it. Not only that, it doesn't give you a bunch of grief about where to put the layer break on DL DVD.

If the OP wants to create a bootable disc for XP, then I think he needs to investigate "Bart's PE".

I'm told I need to use an ISO. Every program I downloaded or investigated (There have been about a dozen) Tells me that in order to create an ISO, I needed an ISO.
They mean this: You first need a tool that creates an ISO file on disk. Then another tool to burn that ISO on disk to CD/DVD. There may be some tools that combine the two steps for you. (Where it treats the intermediate ISO file on disk as a temp file that it subsequently burns for you)

But understand ISO simply defines a data standard for writing an optical disc image to a hard drive that can then be burned to CD/DVD. An ISO can contain virtually ANYTHING. The content of the ISO depends on tool #1. That's why people were asking what you want to create an ISO for.. as the answer for the tool to use for Tool #1 depends on what you're trying to do

I am trying to restore my Windows XP. I have recovery disks. But in order to restore the program in the way I need to, I needed to make some changes to 6 INF files. I need to create the boot disk. In order to create that boot disk, I'm told I need to use an ISO.
Trying to create your own bootable installation XP is likely going to be alot of work for you

Why can't you use your existing XP reinstall disks then look at installing the program you want?

Also INF files are typically changed to support devices/drivers. Did you change driver INF files? Do you need these drivers built into your XP install? It would be MUCH easier to do a normal reinstall. Then boot into Windows and simply copy the modified INF files (saved on a flash drive) onto the new install. Then install the devices/drivers supported by your modified INF files

/* edit */
Or do really need installation disks at all? Or do you just need a tool to create a "ghost" image of your internal hard drive at this point in time? You use the HD ghost image if you ever want to simply restore the image on the HD in the future?

/* edit 2 */
On re-reading your post, now I also wonder if you might be saying: you modified INF files and now XP crashes and won't boot. Are you trying to restore the original INF files to your XP to try and get it to boot again?

I have an idea that has not been suggested yet but I am finding this forum thread a little late
Would creating a Bootable USB flash drive with a WindowsXP install ISO help you any
Chuck B? I dont know about modifying the .INF files this way but if its just a bsaic untouched
XP OS install you need this could help
:D

Back