Creating WPA code on wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazofstour

I have a home computer with a netgear router hard-wired to the lan port which gives me internet access. I also have two lap-tops and I can connect to the internet
through wi-fi/router ok. I want to set up a wap security code for this network.I assume this is a network, though I hav'nt used a wizard or other to set one up. Both lap-tops have built-in wireless access. Do I need to set-up a wap security code from each computer, or just the lan connected computer, or one of the wi-fi connected lap-tops. Microsoft help is not very clear on the fundamentals of networking, I assume they can't draw schematic diagrams, which would simplify the whole connection process

The encryption and the method (WPA2, WPA, WEP) are enabled in the router and the passphrase is set there too.

the client systems need to use the WiFi Wizard to find your SSID and will prompt for the passphrase.

BE CERTAIN to use the wired connection to config ANY router settings

(btw: be sure to change the admin password too :) )

Network security

The client system, by which you mean the two lap-tops, show the ssid and show it as unsecured and I can access the internet as soon as I select my own router ssid.
What I need to do is set up the security so that the password is requested by the network before internet access is allowed, thus preventing outside access bynon clients. How do I find the router ssid password and set it up on the wired computer?

use your browser to access the router IP address eg http : // 192.168.x.y
that will prompt for the user/pwd for the router

from there, you find the Wireless setup and you CREATE the passphrase there

see this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back