Creative Soundcard - not all speakers working

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulski

Hi all,

Need some help if poss?? I've recently installed a second-hand Creative Audigy SE 7.1 surround card (serial no. 70SB057002000), but I cannot get all my speakers working!

I'm running a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers. I can get sound out of left & right front, but no rear or centre. I've checked all connections and they are correct, and have plugged the speaker jacks into the colour coded inputs on the card. I've also disabled the original on-board sound in the BIOS, but no joy!

The speaker set-up in the control panel is set to 5.1, and seems to be suggesting that it's the Audigy thats the default device. I've tried to find some new drivers to try that but have had no success so far (the only relevant ones I could find on Creative failed when it said I already had a more up to date driver installed)! :suspiciou

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm starting to lose my hair!! :(

hmm

I have the same type of card and I noticed that not all app's factor in the sound settings. One app may use 5.1 but others only use 2 speaker. Nothing you can really do to FORCE the soundcard to run at the 5.1 settings. Sorry :(

Thnxs THNDR143. Unfortunately no app is running @ 5.1!! I'm probably more concerned with Media player etc, and I have found the settings that enable the setup of 5.1 etc, but nothing happens - any ideas?

LookinAround:

/********* EDIT **************/
Oh. just noticed you have the Creative 7.1 sound card (vs the Creative speakers) Can have a look again later if ur still having the problem

If you can mate please - would be much appreciated. It might be a help if I can track down any drivers, as I can't launch the AudigyHQ function which might help.

Look for something called CMSS and turn it on.

This will upmix stereo sound to 5.1 and will give you surround audio with stereo source.

You do not need this for games or DVD movies, but make sure you select 5.1 in every game you play and in your dvd movie player. They should take that information from control panel, if they do not, maybe reinstall the driver.

If you would please follow the steps to collect some information for me I'll be able to know much more about your specific system and problems and can take a closer look into it

Click to download then run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Then (still under Preferences) click Report and uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report report in plain text. Check these items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Multimedia
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)
Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. (It may take a short while till a second window opens)
  • Expand Components (click + sign next to it)
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click it, then Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy and then paste into your next post

Look for something called CMSS and turn it on.

This will upmix stereo sound to 5.1 and will give you surround audio with stereo source.

You do not need this for games or DVD movies, but make sure you select 5.1 in every game you play and in your dvd movie player. They should take that information from control panel, if they do not, maybe reinstall the driver.

Hi Ruben - I cannot find CMSS. I believe this may be in Audigy HQ, which I cannot access as it says the driver is missing. I tried to download an updated driver, to then be told I don't have an Audigy card :confused:! I've re-installed the card in a different PCI slot, but didn't have chance to check last night - will update once tried.

Thanks

Hi Lookin,

Will try this asap. Not got chance tonight, but should be able to post by Friday evening if the re-install of the card doesn't work - keep an eye out!!

Thanks

Will keep an eye...

Some additional info and things-to-know while attempting that install (and Is this your card?)

To uninstall a sound device
  • First look in Add/Remove Programs not Device Manager
    A typical sound driver install package installs the driver plus Control Panel applications and possibly others. If you find a sound program uninstaller listed in Add/Remove Programs uninstall it first. it will uninstall everything (drivers and applications) it previously installed
  • Next look in Device Manager
    • If the device had been installed correctly (and device not yet uninstalled) it should be listed under category Sound
    • If the earlier installation failed (and device not yet uninstalled) it could be listed anywhere. It may be under Sound or under a category Other Devices but you may need to look through all of Device Manager. If the install failed because Windows couldn’t find the device driver the device will be listed along with a yellow question mark icon
Understand Device Manager Icons
  • Black exclamation point (!) on yellow. Device error. Must be fixed even if device still functions in this state. Click for XP error codes.
  • Yellow question mark. Windows can’t find device drivers. This icon often appears under Other Devices but look through all of Device Manager as can appear elsewhere
  • Red "X". Device is disabled. (fyi.. Disabled devices still use resources)
  • Blue "i" on white. Resource usage forced by config data (not under Windows Control) Note: Forcing resource usage for any device may affect other devices
How to find a device’s Device ID
Every Windows device has its own Device ID. This ID can help identify which devices are detected by windows as well as figure out “unknown” devices. The Device ID (along with other IDs) can also help resolve driver issues. Is a good thing to know how to find it.

Rt click device->Properties->Details
=>XP: displays Device Instance ID by default
=> Vista: use the pull down menu to display Device Path
How to get a list of currently installed Driver Files and version numbers
Download and run DriverView. You can sort a column by simply clicking the column header​

/***** EDIT ***********/
Oh, btw....
I tried to download an updated driver, to then be told I don't have an Audigy card !
that message during driver install usually means the driver you downloaded is not the right one for that soundcard

Hi Lookin:

Hopefully those reports are attached!!

I've checked and have got no problem devices - also yes, the link to the sound card is the right card. It has found the hardware etc but the reception is crap as well as not being 5.1 surround - beginning to wish I'd never bothered!! :mad:

I'm also contacting the guy who I bought it from to see if he has the original install CD, as I've seen elsewhere that Creative only provide patches to stop stuff being re-sold (don't know how true this is, but the drivers on their support page don't seem to be complete as I can't get the Audigy HQ bit which is where all the settings sit).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back