'CRT Santa' leaves old televisions on more than 50 doorsteps

Shawn Knight

Staff member
WTF?! More than 50 residents of Henrico County in Virginia woke up Sunday morning to an unusual discovery – old television sets on their doorsteps. Stranger still was the surveillance footage captured by multiple doorbell cameras showing how the sets got there.

Jeanne Brooksbank, one of the recipients of an old CRT set, described the scene as something out of the Twilight Zone. “Everyone started coming out of their houses, walking around the neighborhood looking at the TVs there on the doorstep,” she said.

The mysterious gift-giver was spotted in surveillance video wearing what looks like a tech repair outfit or jumpsuit… and a CRT on his / her head. Strange, right? Each set was strategically placed so the screen faced the home’s front door. Police believe the delivery person had an accomplice – another individual in a white jumpsuit, also with a TV covering their face.

Matt Pecka, a lieutenant with the local police department, said there was no credible threat to residents, adding that it was strictly an inconvenience. It would seem that the only crime committed was illegal dumping.

Indeed, that could be one plausible motive – someone simply looking to offload some old junk. Then again, there are easier ways to dispose of electronic waste so we’re probably just looking at a very odd prank, especially considering something very similar happened in the area around the same time a year ago.

Masthead credit: TV man by frankie's

Permalink to story.

It what world is a tube TV a gift? Thrift stores won't take them anymore. I bet it is someone trying to dump old TVs instead of paying to dispose of them correctly.

It probably won't be that difficult for police to solve but I would bet that they aren't putting too many resources on it since it's not that big of a danger.

They are showing us the proper technique to lifting heavy objects - with the legs than the back. Kudos to them! :D

"the only crime committed was illegal dumping"

Looks like a "gift" to me. If it were a 75" OLED TV, they would still consider it illegal dumping?

"someone simply looking to offload some old junk"

Given they are wearing a costume, I would say it is a hilarious prank rather than someone dumping what they thought was garbage. lol. Why go to the trouble of wearing a costume? If I were doing that, if it's illegal anyway and I was that kind of person, I would throw it off a trailer somewhere in a big pile.

It what world is a tube TV a gift? Thrift stores won't take them anymore. I bet it is someone trying to dump old TVs instead of paying to dispose of them correctly.
Are you serious? I still have a couple of old tube TV's because playing my old Nintendo and Genesis games still look really good on them.

If he was just trying to get rid of them he would throw them somewhere else... and he wouldn't have more then 50 of them, meaning he's buying or collecting them for this specific purpose.

Are you serious? I still have a couple of old tube TV's because playing my old Nintendo and Genesis games still look really good on them.
Yeah I had a like 27 inch I kept around just for old nes games. My gf hated it and finally got me to throw it out last month. I left it by the communal 2nd hand giveaway spot at my apartment complex(just outside the dumpster but not in) and someone picked it up real quick. I can always buy one on ebay if I really want too. Carrying that old behemoth down stairs in flip flops with my gf trying to talk to me was almost the death of me. It had to weigh more then 2 40 inch flat screen tvs.

The only thing CRT's are good for is old video games. I've got a PS1 Setup with a Guncon45 with time crisis in my office.

Back