Cryptocurrency exchange accidentally gave customer $10.5 million instead of a $100 refund

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: What would you do if you suddenly found a deposit of millions of dollars in cryptocurrency in your account? A crypto customer in Australia recently faced this moral dilemma and decided to take the money and run. Now the exchange that made the error is trying to do everything possible to erase its mistake and get its funds back. But the person has already spent over $1 million on friends and family.

Crypto.com is kicking itself for a highly foolish clerical error. The cryptocurrency exchange recently issued a refund for a customer in Australia. The transaction was supposed to be for $100 AU ($68.55 US). However, the employee processing the refund entered an account number in the payment field resulting in a $10.5 million AU ($7.2 million US) payout.

To make matters worse, Crypto.com didn't even notice the error for over seven months. It only caught the May 2021 transaction when running an audit in December 2021. By then, the customer had already spent $1.3 million AU ($891,000 US) buying a house for her sister.

CoinTelegraph notes that Crypto.com filed a lawsuit to recoup the funds and received a default judgment from the Victoria Supreme Court. Default judgments are usually issued when a defendant does not appear for the hearing.

Indeed, The Guardian reports the defendant never responded to any communications from Crypto.com's legal team or to the summons. So the court ruled that the customer had to sell the property and return all $10.5 million to the exchange plus interest, equaling $27,369.64 AU ($18762.44 US) and all court costs.

In the meantime, Crypto.com filed a motion to freeze the customer's account to prevent further withdrawals. However, the defendant had moved most of the money to other banks. The court granted a hold on those and the initial account that received the funds.

Other than that, there is not much else Crypto.com can do. Even if all the funds were still in the original deposit account, crypto transactions are not the same as traditional banks. It cannot just reverse the deposit without the cooperation of the wallet holder.

However, the defendant could face other legal ramifications for not returning the money, including fines and jail time for contempt of court. The case will resume in October, but it's doubtful the customer will appear since, up to this point, she has made little effort to comply. The Guardian notes that the defendant is "seeking legal advice."

Permalink to story.

But the person has already spent over $1 million on friends and family.
As in, nachos and hookers?

nachos.png

I'm sure the money were returned...
good.gif

Last edited:
How stupid do you have to be? Doesn't matter what type of currency it is, if it's not yours all you're setting your self up for is short term fun and long term pain... 🤦‍♂️

I don't have bitcoin but I can send you some old rusty washers to help with your sarcastic meter. 😁
And if you thought I actually was expecting a bitcoin for my troubles, I'll let you keep them for yours lol

Crypto.com didn't even notice the error for over seven months
I want to know more about this. What internal account there is so large than $10.5 million was an invisible rounding error? I'm guessing not an account specifically reserved for customer satisfaction gift cards. Or are they so sloppy that every piece of bitcoin they own and/or manage for their account holders is basically one big pool to them (big red flag.)

While I'd like to believe I'd have the character to return the money immediately, I couldn't really blame her for at least exploring the legal situation around her options. Just sitting around and ignoring lawsuits with your head in the sand while keeping yourself and the money in the jurisdiction sure doesn't seem like the smartest way to play it though.

Someone who's smart enough to know it's not their, and they'll be legally required to return it... 🤦‍♂️
Ok, you are that guy. But 10 mil, really? Big money buys you lawyers and you can drag prosecution for years, invoking temporary insanity or some other legal tricks and you'll be long dead before they can get their money back or better yet, go live in a paradise island with no extradition for the rest of your life or... better still, buy your own island and they don't have jurisdiction.

What do you mean they can not recover the funds? Is it because the customer is anon?
There is no "Legal" remedy to recover the funds

Crypto is unregulated

It is not legal tender

Past Crypto thefts have shown that there is no "Legal" remedy for losses from theft and error

If the Court rules otherwise, then I overule the Court

I am Cornholio!
My Bunghole has spoken!

Last edited:
I want to know more about this. What internal account there is so large than $10.5 million was an invisible rounding error? I'm guessing not an account specifically reserved for customer satisfaction gift cards. Or are they so sloppy that every piece of bitcoin they own and/or manage for their account holders is basically one big pool to them (big red flag.)

While I'd like to believe I'd have the character to return the money immediately, I couldn't really blame her for at least exploring the legal situation around her options. Just sitting around and ignoring lawsuits with your head in the sand while keeping yourself and the money in the jurisdiction sure doesn't seem like the smartest way to play it though.

Their reconciliation processes are obviously not top. If they do a simple ‚do all postings balance‘ type of reconciliation they wouldn‘t notice that but tbh I wouldn‘t be surprised if they didn‘t even do that.

If you have 10mil usdt or any lower amount of money you don't need I'll gladly accept it on my erc20 account link: 0x0d8542fa18a0591ecaf156baf997b0729635bf64

If someone sent me that much in crypto I'd be cashing it out ASAP. Crypto isnt legal currency and has no protections, Huzza!
Someone who's smart enough to know it's not theirs, and they'll be legally required to return it... 🤦‍♂️
No such legal requirements apply to crypto. It's decentralized man!
I want to know the person who wakes up with 10 mil in his/her account and just returns it.
For a regular bank account you'd be held responsible if you knowingly spent that money. Crypto bros OTOH have no such protections. The broker is SOL now.

No such legal requirements apply to crypto. It's decentralized man!
LOL that's not how property works. Not even a little bit 🤣🤣🤣

It might take longer, but they'll get most of it back, or have the defendant behind bars for a long time (or both).

The only way she can evade this is to go on the run. And I'd love to see how much money it'll take to buy back that peace of mind...

7 mil US dollars and they stayed where they were?
The bank didn't even notice it for 7 months.

I wonder if it occurred to the lady to go live elsewhere? Maybe a non extradition country with relaxed banking laws. There are a few.

Just take the family n move. Could have just disappeared n likely been fine. But no, you stayed n tried to live a life with money that was never yours. Someone was bound to come looking. If she never thought that then she is complete ...
Lesson to learn, either do not take what's not yours or if you commit a crime DO NOT STAY AROUND N WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO SHOW.

There is no "Legal" remedy to recover the funds. Crypto is unregulated
Where oh where do people get crazy ideas like this? Basic civil law covers all items of value, whether or not they are "regulated". If you mistakenly receive anything from a doughnut to a dog-house, you're required to return it. If you're aware of the error and do not do so, you're committing theft.

Where oh where do people get crazy ideas like this? Basic civil law covers all items of value, whether or not they are "regulated". If you mistakenly receive anything from a doughnut to a dog-house, you're required to return it. If you're aware of the error and do not do so, you're committing theft.
If I receive anything in the mail that I did not order, I am under no obligation to return it

It is "MINE"

If you want it back, then you must ask politely and pay me an $8 million dollar processing fee before I will even think about it
(processing fee is non-refundable)

The "Law" will not protect you, for I am Cornholio!

Last edited:
Back