Crytek shows off its next-gen game engine, CryEngine 3

Jos

Staff

Last week Epic and Dice gave gamers and developers a first glimpse at what their respective engines are capable of. Now, Crysis developer Crytek has revealed a video footage showing of their very own CryEngine 3, together with news that eleven titles are currently being developed using the technology. Crytek didn't go into details but apparently there are at least 4 CryEngine 3 MMORPGs under development and some of the upcoming titles are not intended for the U.S.

The video below briefly shows off some of the upcoming titles in development as well as a technology showcase for 'CryEngine 3 Sandbox for Cinema', which powers their cut-scenes and is being pitched to movie studios, featuring stuff such as live sync with Maya, integrated image-based lighting, and various camera effects rendered in real time.

News that Crysis 2 will be released with only DirectX 9 support at launch has caused some discontent among gamers and left many wondering if the game will even live up the visual quality of its predecessor. Until full DirectX 11 support arrives we won't know for sure, but for now developers looking play around with CryEngine 3 can hit mycryengine.com and apply for an evaluation version of the software. A free version of CryEngine 3 will be out this summer.

Permalink to story.

anyone else getting an authentication required box from the video, from cms.gametrailers.com?

Yeah same here?? at first I thought it was a virus trying to get my username password! lol :)

I replaced the embed code, let me know if you are still having trouble with the video. Plays fine for me.

Plays fine as it was posted earlier, then the box came shortly after....now plays fine once again.

i watched the vid at youtube. Some scene looked very realistic while some looked cartoonish.
I have also watched a eyefinity gameplay vid at youtube named such like cryengine 3 ati eyefinity (dont know correct name but you can search it with my hint ) that video really good lightning effect and graphics were better first crysis and very photo realistic.
Not joking really....

All of these amazing effects and more you will not see in the release of Crysis 2. Instead you will find a game with preset graphical settings and only one set of textures and models. Bravo Crytek, bravo.

when it comes to the point that whether game will release with dx9 or dx11. I think if uhey want to make the game good looking they can do it with dx9 ( as it takes lot of time in seeing difference between dx9 and dx10 graphics of crysis 1 ) and there are more games which looks very good with dx9 like mafia 2. Afterall crytek have never dissappointed us in terms of graphics

Guest said:
Afterall crytek have never dissappointed us in terms of graphics

If you've played the leak or demo you can't honestly be serious when you said that.

It runs with 3 preset graphical settings(confirmed by nvidias benchmarks) and the only thing the higher settings adds is godrays and bloom. The CE3 editor showed that the game uses the same textures and models for each setting.

Downloaded the demo, was disappointed by the preset graphical settings.

Played the demo, was disappointed by the CoD style gameplay.

I'll probably pick Crysis 2 up during this year's Steam holiday sale, if it is cheap enough.

Guest said:
Downloaded the demo, was disappointed by the preset graphical settings.

Played the demo, was disappointed by the CoD style gameplay.

I'll probably pick Crysis 2 up during this year's Steam holiday sale, if it is cheap enough.

Same here

I tested out the demo and the graphics are TERRIBLE. Not only that but it plays like a console game.

Honestly Crytek destroyed Crysis 2's chance for being good on PC.

If you've played the leak or demo you can't honestly be serious when you said that.

It runs with 3 preset graphical settings(confirmed by nvidias benchmarks) and the only thing the higher settings adds is godrays and bloom. The CE3 editor showed that the game uses the same textures and models for each setting.

I am on board with this. "Best graphics ever" and its coming out w/DX9? WTF!
The demo looks like hell, and plays like CODMW2...or its clone Black Ops. If I didn't have to have the game for customer builds benching purposes, I would be sorry I pre ordered the SOB. It looks like a god damn console port from 2 years ago. BC2 looks futuristic compared to this ****.

@ Princeton: You seem to have been on top of this deal from the jump. Any word on when the DX11....I'm assuming 'patch' is coming out for it?

red1776 said:

I am on board with this. "Best graphics ever" and its coming out w/DX9? WTF!
The demo looks like hell, and plays like CODMW2...or its clone Black Ops. If I didn't have to have the game for customer builds benching purposes, I would be sorry I pre ordered the SOB. It looks like a god damn console port from 2 years ago. BC2 looks futuristic compared to this ****.

@ Princeton: You seem to have been on top of this deal from the jump. Any word on when the DX11....I'm assuming 'patch' is coming out for it?

They've stated there will be a patch. I'm assuming it'll just be DX11 dll's. I doubt crytek will bother taking advantage of DX11 effects, they'll just focus on consoles like they've done for the entire development of the game.

As for a date for the patch, there isn't any confirmed date but it should come out around never.

Actually it makes sense as to why they weren't upset over the game leak,,,,they already knew they gimped the hell out of us pc users anyway.

I agree. I played crysis 2 and It did feel like a Call of Duty game. The grafex were TERABLE even on max. Nvidia states that the game will run in Directx 11 but as far as I have seen Crysis 1 was 10x better than Crysis 2. The game doesn't have hardly anything that you can blow up... In Crysis 1 you could blow up buildings and use binoculars to see SUPER far! Water was the best I have seen in any game ever! But in Crysis 2 the water even sucks. some of the buildings look terable (nothing like the screen shots). Crytech has really disapointed me. Unless reviews give this game an amazing rating (they would have to change a lot of things to do that) then I wont be buying this game untill its like $7 on steam. The idea of crysis 2 is great and it had a lot of potential but so far its not what I was hopeing for. Crytech said it would beat the grafix of Crysis 1 and not only has it not done that but it is even worse than Crysis 1...

It's interesting to me how critical people are. Especially without thinking.

Realize that this is a MULTIPLAYER demo. If you've actually watched any of the gameplay footage from the single player, you'll notice it looks far better than the multiplayer. Multiplayer tends to be scaled way back so it runs better online.

@dcrosenthal: There are far more "things to blow up" than in the Crysis, just by watching the CAMPAIGN gameplay footage.

The whole DX9 vs DX11 debate seems petty as well. You can get amazing quality out of DX9 just by putting effort into. (Anyone here use CCC on the other Crysis games? beats DX10)

If you actually look at the game on a half decent computer, even the multiplayer's textures (at least on player models and and weapons) are better than the original.

Don't complain that you can actually play smooth multiplayer in Crysis.

If anyone tried the Xbox demo as well, it looked like hell. And played like hell. If you've ever looked into CryEngine 3 - more than this video - you'll see that the game was made on a PC, for the PC. The engine allows real time display of what the game looks and plays like on a console. CryEngine 3 creates games once and scales things back appropriately for the consoles. It wasn't made "for consoles."

Grow up, stop judging, and wait for the full game. Especially the single player aspect of it. It's just my opinion but no one really cared about the first two games' multiplayer's anyways. Do you honestly believe that this one's campaign could possibly be worse than the first two?

thank god there is one who think like me.
Thats why i said that crytek has never dissappointed us in terms of graphic

Saturday said:
It's interesting to me how critical people are. Especially without thinking.

Realize that this is a MULTIPLAYER demo. If you've actually watched any of the gameplay footage from the single player, you'll notice it looks far better than the multiplayer. Multiplayer tends to be scaled way back so it runs better online.

@dcrosenthal: There are far more "things to blow up" than in the Crysis, just by watching the CAMPAIGN gameplay footage.

The whole DX9 vs DX11 debate seems petty as well. You can get amazing quality out of DX9 just by putting effort into. (Anyone here use CCC on the other Crysis games? beats DX10)

If you actually look at the game on a half decent computer, even the multiplayer's textures (at least on player models and and weapons) are better than the original.

Don't complain that you can actually play smooth multiplayer in Crysis.

If anyone tried the Xbox demo as well, it looked like hell. And played like hell. If you've ever looked into CryEngine 3 - more than this video - you'll see that the game was made on a PC, for the PC. The engine allows real time display of what the game looks and plays like on a console. CryEngine 3 creates games once and scales things back appropriately for the consoles. It wasn't made "for consoles."

Grow up, stop judging, and wait for the full game. Especially the single player aspect of it. It's just my opinion but no one really cared about the first two games' multiplayer's anyways. Do you honestly believe that this one's campaign could possibly be worse than the first two?

+1

Back