CSS Fps problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrederikNeertof

Hey guys. In the start of 2008 I bought a laptop with vista home, and installed Counterstrike Source on it. It ran pretty good on high settings, with a fps on 80-100.

However, I got tired of vista and decided to install XP pro. My computer crashed, and I had to pick up my vista cd and re-install that, lol.

Anyway, my problem is that CSS is running kind of bad now. Currently my resolution in game is 800x600 and I have everything set on low, still I get 30-60 fps. Something is not right :p
I have DirectX 10 and my drivers are fully updated (I believe so.)
My system specs are:
nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
IntelCore2 Duo T7500 @ 2,40 GHz
4094MB Ram
DirectX 10

It should run CSS just fine :(

Any help on why my fps is so low is highly appreciated!

Best Regards, Fred.

This could help, please follow the directs carefully.
* Get Driver Sweeper and the latest nVidia drivers for your version of Windows from the links below first
* Install Driver Sweeper
* Go to Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall your current graphics drivers (should be named "NVIDIA Drivers" or similar)
* Do not reboot if prompted
* Run Driver Sweeper to remove video drivers selecting ONLY "NVIDIA - Display"
* Reboot
* Enter Safe Mode by pressing F8 at Windows boot time
* Run Driver Sweeper again in Safe Mode selecting ONLY "NVIDIA - Display"
* Reboot
* Do not allow Windows to install any drivers at boot time
* Check in Add/Remove Programs to see if there is an "NVIDIA Drivers" listing, if so repeat the above steps until it is gone.
* Install latest ForceWare drivers (currently 175.16, linked below)
* Reboot

DriverSweeper

Correct:
driversweepercorrectyy7.jpg

Incorrect: Warning, if you do this you will not be able to boot.
driversweeperincorrectng5.jpg

Hey guys. Thanks alot for your answers. I've been trying what you suggested yesterday, however none of this seemed to have helped me. :(
My cousin have the exact same laptop as me, with the same hardware. He runs CS:S in full resolution and graphics without any problems, and around 80-100 fps. We also have the same Graphic driver installed. Not to mention I also tried the Driver Sweeper. I don't have ServicePack 1 for vista, could that really solve my problem? My cousin, as I was talking about, doesn't have ServicePack1 installed.
Also, when we go to the Vista Power test thingy, his ram gets a score on 5,2 while mine gets a score on 3,3 :S As mentioned, we have the exact same hardware.
Any thoughts on this guys?
Thanks,

Best Regards,
Fred :)

Norton? that slows it down a hell of alot.... i remember tellin people thats a stupid thing to say.. but no it really does.. its a pile of poop!

FrederikNeertof said:
Hey guys. Thanks alot for your answers. I've been trying what you suggested yesterday, however none of this seemed to have helped me. :(
My cousin have the exact same laptop as me, with the same hardware. He runs CS:S in full resolution and graphics without any problems, and around 80-100 fps. We also have the same Graphic driver installed. Not to mention I also tried the Driver Sweeper. I don't have ServicePack 1 for vista, could that really solve my problem? My cousin, as I was talking about, doesn't have ServicePack1 installed.
Also, when we go to the Vista Power test thingy, his ram gets a score on 5,2 while mine gets a score on 3,3 :S As mentioned, we have the exact same hardware.
Any thoughts on this guys?
Thanks,

Best Regards,
Fred :)

What anti-virus software do you have? If it's Norton antivirus that could be most likely the problem. Norton is a huge resource hog that doesn't really protect against viruses ( and could itself be considered one ). You might also be infected with a virus of some sort, you might want to read this ( click only after getting rid of Norton, with this

Nope, I am using AVG 8. I have scanned my computer with AVG and Ad-Aware and it found nothing. I just re-installed vista on my computer a few days ago, so there shouldnt really be any viruses. :)

To Dicee: Nope I am not taking part of any beta programs.

I really don't know what the matter is, lol.
I have just un-installed CS:S and at the moment it is updating. I will let you guys know if it made any difference.
Thanks alot for the help you posted!

Hey guys.I have just finished reinstalling CS:S and it actually solved the problem. Wohooo. Thanks alot for your help though.

to mopar_man:

My room is pretty cold, and I have an Antec Notebook cooler, I also use speed fans to check the tempature and it seems to be cool enough.

pcnthuziast said:
Saying Norton could be considered a virus itself is just plain ignorant... I've been using it for over a decade and never had any problems with it.

I didn't say it WAS a virus, I said it could be considered one with the characteristics it has. Such as longer boot times and a huge amount of system resources it hogs. Also, enjoy your many viruses from Norton's "üb3r Pro-security".

It may work, but it will slow the computers down, in some way or another.

Then again, if you benchmark it's viruses caught against others, I am willing to bet it doen'st catch as some other good AV programs.

pcnthuziast said:
Saying Norton could be considered a virus itself is just plain ignorant... I've been using it for over a decade and never had any problems with it.

im not considering it a virus... It slows down PCs a hell of alot... You probly dnt know the difference if u have been using it for ages. try using the removal tool and see if u notice the difference with loading internet explorer etc...

Dicee said:
im not considering it a virus... It slows down PCs a hell of alot... You probly dnt know the difference if u have been using it for ages. try using the removal tool and see if u notice the difference with loading internet explorer etc...

Just stop replying to his posts, he's just a troll who is trying to prove his point by bringing threads back to life for stupid reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back