CTRL-C doesnt not work during XP Pro startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Can someone help me explain why CTRL-C does not work during XP-Pro startup to access my BIOS set-up and how to fix it.

My keyboard works fine as I have used a keyboard tester program and both CTRL and C register when pressed together.

I am attempting to adjust my DRAM FSB as I have chaged my RAM chips (previously 2X's DDR400 PC3200 512MB) to 3X's DDR400 PC3200 1GB. My computer was running DDR400, but now reads DDR200. Performance has slowed down about since I switched memory chips.

Any assistance is much appreciated. :)

Dirt in the sockets.
Bad board,bad memory module, or bad chipset is causing the change from DDR400 to DDR200. Remember that all memory installed works at the speed of the slowest module installed... particularly on the Dual Channel ones.

Can someone help me explain why CTRL-C does not work during XP-Pro startup to access my BIOS set-up and how to fix it.

Ctrl-C to access BIOS??? And hitting it during XP startup???

Please tell us your computer make/model... Typically you need to hit a Function Key sequence (e.g. F2 on Dell computers) when you first power up and before the Windows startup screen appears to enter BIOS setup. Tell us computer make/model so we can confirm the correct key sequence for you.

I cleaned the sockets prior to installing the chips. All three are the same brand new PNY DDR400 chips. My system is showing 3GB of RAM. Could one of the chips be bad? Also, why is CTRL-C not working on startup?

Running AMD 64 3400+ 2.2GHZ. Don't know the motherboard type. BIOS is Phoenix - Award BIOS, ver??? There are no Function Key sequences offered on startup, just
1) DEL = to open BIOS
2) CTRL-C = to adjust clock settings
3) CTRL-P = to load defaut settings

Looking into BIOS, it states that my FSB is running 200Mhz, DRAM is 100Mhz, and MaxMemClock is at 200Mhz.

Hope this helps.

Do you have a PS/2 motherboard or a USB motherboard?
It may be good to know the motherboard in question
Do you have a home-built machine?
Changing your DRAM Front Side Bus? How do you do that? From what to what?

I have FIC K8-800T motherboard (had to find the paperwork). Machine is bought from TigerDirect approx 4yrs ago.

Shouldn't my FSB be running at 400, which is equal to 200Mhz? If my memory clock speed is running at 200Mhz (had choices of 100Mhz, 133Mhz, 166Mhz, & 200Mhz) why doesn't it registar as DDR400, instead of DDR200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back