Curious about my hardware

Tha General

I am using a 550w PSU, Cheap-o, but good. I think its called RSG series or something like that. Anyways, i am using XFX 5750, Q6600, 2 internal HDD's, One is Seagate 500GB and the other one is WD 500GB and i also have an external HDD by WD 500GB which is hook up to my USB 3.0 PCIE card, and i have a keyboard and mouse and using a Logitech Dual Controller.

Was wondering , can my PSU handle this? Am i ok?
Everything seems to be working good, temps are good on every device.

I have 4 fans in my computer btw.

Everything seems OK so far. You should try to run a demanding game (if you have any) - if the PC begins to stutter during gameplay, then possibly this configuration is a bit too much.

You mentioned that the PSU was a cheap-o;
You should be cautious then. The power-coefficient rating might be the peak power rating, a "cheap" trick by some PSU manufacturers (displaying the peak power rating instead of the ordinary power rating).

So I wouldn't worry, I'd go 'gunz blazing'.

I think you'll be right, but you could always run your hardware over something like the Thermaltake PSU calculator and see what recommendation you get. But just remember it's only a recommendation.

I've seen a setup similar to that with 2x 5770's run comfortably on a 650W PSU, so should be right.

Link to the calculator if you are interested: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Hey thanks. Yea i will test out GTA IV SOOn and maybe Crysis 2 and see how the temps go and whatever else. thanks for the thermaltake option. I do have a backup thermaltake PSU which is 450 , hell i always buy a nice new psu SOON also for backup. But everything seems to be ok.

This page shows total system power at 233W under load with that card, with a 130W CPU ( I think ), your CPU uses half that. So you are probably fine, hard drives don't use too much (less than 10W after spin up).

Unless the PSU can't handle much stress on the +12V rail (it'll probably shut down or fry if that's the case), you should be fine.

I would still look at buying a decent PSU if it's possible to get one cheaply. You can routinely find the Antec Earthwatts PSUs on sale at Newegg, so grab one of those (the 430W model, to be specific) if and when you can.

You are safer using a brand like Corsair like I am for your PSU. I was using a cheap brand that worked ok in my old P4 setup but is completely worthless in my new setup. It is nice knowing the power flow to my system is clean and constant.

Back