Cursor Time Lag (arg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych1012

Hey, guys, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put this question. Lately, I have been having a horrible time of having the cursor lag significantly when I am typing on the internet. It is fine when I first boot up, but it quickly slows down and progressively gets to a point when I am tearing my hair out. I dumped my cache, deleted cookies and history, ran spyware, virus and registry programs. I defragged both of my hard drives and ran disk clean up on both hard drives. I am running on XP service pack 3 with version 3.5 of Mozilla. Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
Processor Speed 2.34 GHz
Memory (RAM) 1536 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Any help you could offer would be super. Thanks!

When did this behavior start? Is it something that just started with the installation of Firefox 3.5? I know its new and I think beta? If so, maybe you can 'roll back' to version 3 and try again... or maybe were there other programs/updates?
Just a note: (even so it most likely doesn't affect much) I don't know if you did everything in the order you wrote but when defragging and performing disk cleanup, do the cleanup before the defrag, this way, the cleanup will get rid of all the temp files, and only the remaining files will be defragged without the files which will get deleted immediately after...:)

Thanks for the tip. Amazing they don't teach little stuff like that in college. ;) Anyway, it started doing this around two months ago, at best estimation. It may have started sooner and I didn't notice it. But the pc has had for quite some time the problem of the browser slowing down in reaction time to everything, if I don't shut it down for some time. That doesn't seem to be as bad. So I have possibly fixed one thing and not another? Or it's a different symptom of the same problem. I was actually hoping that upgrading to firefox 3.5 would fix it. Right now it's just perfect. But I just ran some new diagnostics programs that I ran across. Shut down some unnecessary processes. Maybe it's just spyware and all those extra processes slowing it down?

If you think there is a chance for spyware, etc. follow this link (or copy and paste in browser)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic130538.html
As for processes, there is most definitely processes running that don't need to be, there almost always are, but that may require a little work to fine tune. I'll try to find instructions already on this site that you can follow...

I will take a look at that article, but I also read this one from this site:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic104136.html

I downloaded those programs and will try them out. Right now things seem to be doing pretty good still. I did find a couple of hidden malicious spywares last night.

Thanks for the info. I love this site.

Sorry, I sent you the wrong link, it pretty much gave you the same info, just a lot more reading.
This is definitely a great site, there are so many members that if one person can't help, the other will. Chances are high that somebody here went through a topic already and can solve it quickly.

I thought I would follow up on this post in case anyone else is having this problem. I found out that Mozilla add-ons (In specific Skype) really slow down your browser. I for one was downloading a lot of those add-ons because they sounded cool and then forgot I even had them or never had the occasion to use them, so I went through and disabled all the ones that I don't use. AdBlock Plus is another that has caused some problems. It took me a while to find the right phrase to Google the problem, but it has cleared up the very slow cursor and also the frequent browser crashes. Hope I was able to sort someone else out! Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know the outcome.
You need to pay close attention which add-ons you install, not to say they are, but some may be malicious themselves.

I agree, I didn't realize until recently that they aren't all created by the Mozilla people. Every blonde has her day! Thanks again!

AdBlock Plus is another that has caused some problems.

Just wanted to let you know that I've been using Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Easy Lists add-ons for almost 5 years with no problem.

You WILL see beautiful white spaces where those ads and banners would have been. I like that! They usually have trash Tracking Cookies in them,

The only place that I had a problem with it is in myspace. For some reason it keeps you from being able to reply to messages. Or it did about a month ago. But I just don't remember it taking out ads either. I think I will try reinstalling it and see what happens.

TY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back