Cyberpunk 2077's first paid expansion is coming in 2023

Polycount

Staff
In context: Cyberpunk 2077 launched in rough shape last year, but the game was far from abandoned. Though it hasn't received anywhere near the level of support, say, No Man's Sky has (and it won't, judging by CDPR's workforce allocation charts), the devs have still done their best to make the game playable while fixing core gameplay issues. Unfortunately, actual new content is going to have to wait for quite a while: Cyberpunk 2077's first expansion won't be launching until sometime in 2023.

For those of us that played the game at launch and haven't touched it since (hoping that a DLC release DLC would bring us back), this is unfortunate news. However, if there's any studio that now understands the value and importance of releasing content when it's ready, it's CD Projekt Red.

The company was burned badly with Cyberpunk 2077's launch in December of 2020, and they likely won't want to repeat that mistake with the game's first expansion. With such a long development cycle, expectations for this first expansion are high, and CDPR is facing far more negative scrutiny than it was before 2077's release -- back when they were still the pro-consumer darlings of the industry.

To be fair, it's not as if CD Projekt Red has been sitting on its hands this past year. As we said before, the studio has been focusing on fixing core problems with the game, patching up bugs, improving NPC and vehicle AI, and more. Many would say the game is still far from finished (the police still spawn on top of you), but it's in a much better state, and if it had been released like this, the backlash would've been far less significant.

In other words, Cyberpunk 2077 is perfectly playable now, and there are still more patches to come before the first expansion's release next year. Update 1.6 will be out in the "coming months," according to company CEO Adam Kicinski, though we're unsure of its contents.

In related news, CD Projekt Red is starting to shift its development priorities. Cyberpunk 2077's ongoing support staff has been slashed to a fraction of what it was at launch and roughly half of what it was just a few months ago. The patch team is now dwarfed by "GWENT-related projects" and the expansion's dev team. More resources have also been allocated to CD Projekt's other, unannounced titles; the trend here essentially moving in reverse to Cyberpunk 2077's support team.

We'll keep you in the loop regarding CD Projekt Red's future plans, but if you want more details on its current direction as a company, check out the studio's latest financial report.

Permalink to story.

I would be very cautious about giving CDPR money after Cyberpunk.
I bought the witcher series almost for free on sale on GOG and after enough time all the addons and mods have been going for years. Most likely will be the same for cyberpunk and most games. I make great money but wasting 60 bucks a pop for a new game is ridiculous.

Cyberpunk is an excellent game, launch day issues has been fixed, but still would recommend to play on pc. Good characters, world, story, solid experience. I'm sure sequel will be much better, but I loved Witcher 1 as well.

I bought the witcher series almost for free on sale on GOG and after enough time all the addons and mods have been going for years. Most likely will be the same for cyberpunk and most games. I make great money but wasting 60 bucks a pop for a new game is ridiculous.

I held out until it went on sale for 30 bucks.
I've certainly got well more than my money spent out of it so far.

That said, if I had paid full price at launch you bet I would have been a bit salty about it.

It's perfectly fine on PC now. Only bugs I've had is a few NPCs spawning stuck in parts of the environment, and one quest that soft locked as I inadvertantly killed an enemy character before I was supposed to and it wouldn't trigger the second part of the mission due to it.
Simple reload of a save and being sure to go after that character after initiating the second part of it fixed it, so still nothing game breaking.

I have The Witcher series as well, I consider TW3 to be one of the best games ever made and that game enabled CDPR to be in such a position to sell Cyberpunk 2077 in the state it was in at launch. I'm not against buying CP2077, I'm just saying be careful, read reviews etc...before you end up buying another buggy mess and end up getting frustrated over your own stupidity. I think that's pretty reasonable.

I have The Witcher series as well, I consider TW3 to be one of the best games ever made and that game enabled CDPR to be in such a position to sell Cyberpunk 2077 in the state it was in at launch. I'm not against buying CP2077, I'm just saying be careful, read reviews etc...before you end up buying another buggy mess and end up getting frustrated over your own stupidity. I think that's pretty reasonable.
I didnt bought cyber on release, got it a few months ago, and it is already solid game where I havent really meet any bugs anymore. CDProject made a mistake aiming this game on xbox one and ps4, its scope were much too large to scale it down this much and took unnecesary workpower to make it happened. They were too amitious, but I think that's fine - you cant always play safe. And in the end they delivered a great title.
Personally, I usually give single player games at least 6 months before play them. My host of Tsushima CE was opened more than a year after sitting on my shelf and with all the additional content game was simply wonderful. I have no time to fight day one, ormonth one bugs;)

I waited to play 2077 until I got it for $15 and it got the 1.5 patch. I must say, it's been a pretty polished and very fun experience. The quests are fantastic.

18 million sales, somehow I don't believe it

I played it for free on release, mediocre game at best not sure I will bother playing it again before a Definitive Edition hits

Cyberpunk is an excellent game, launch day issues has been fixed, but still would recommend to play on pc. Good characters, world, story, solid experience. I'm sure sequel will be much better, but I loved Witcher 1 as well.
Far from fixed. Out of 4 PCs that run anything from Skyrim with K ENB+mods to Ghost Recon Wildlands to Assassin's Creed Odyssey to Red Dead Redemtion 2 with 0 issues; 2 still will not work with Cyberpunk 2077 at all and crash on launch every time; and one of those 2 PCs is a fresh build.

Last edited:
Far from fixed. Out of 4 PCs that run anything from Skyrim with K ENB+mods to Ghost Recon Wildlands to Assassin's Creed Odyssey to Red Dead Redemtion 2 with 0 issues; 2 still will not work with Cyberpunk 2077 at all and crash on launch every time; and one of those 2 PCs is a fresh build.
Sounds like user error to me. I have CP2077 installed on 3 PCs in my house and all work perfectly. Haven't seen any problem since before version 1.2.

Last edited:
Back