DDR ram burned (pin 77 and 85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntiBurn

I’ve burned an Infineon PC2700U-25330-B0 DDR 512 Ram after I plugged it out and replugged it. This ram module was installed by the fabric so should be completely compatible with the motherboard cause the computer worked before I unplugged/replugged this module. First time boot up after I replugged the ram it didn’t came any sign of smoke or burned smell (not noticeable) but only black screen after fans started up.

It is burned (gold metal is fried away) on pin 77 and 85 (vdd and vddq) and in mobo’s ram slot 1 at same location.

When I trying with no ram will not bios load, CPU fan, and other is starting up and power on light on power supply is on (not motherboard light). There is no kind of beeps after started up.
Have tried to unplug all additional hardware’s(DVD room, hard disc) and only using motherboard, CPU fan, CPU, video card(built in version on the motherboard), power light and start the computer but still black screen.
Tried reboot bios (unplug power and bios clock battery 5 min)

I have not tried insert new Ram (in case screw it too up)

I fear Ram slot 1 dead but is slot 2, CPU and motherboard still alive?

Attachments

• ram brick.JPG
    ram brick.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 9
  • motherboard.JPG
    motherboard.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 7
hi AntiBurn,
so the machine was working before you uninstalled the ram? or was there a problem that made you remove and re-install the ram?

Please put known good Ram in Slot 2 and power up

Slot 1 and Original Ram is gone

I suspect it will work under Slot 2 only still. ie CPU hopefully still ok
You can also reset Bios from Motherboard, before powering up, just to be safe ;)

By the way the pics were very clear :grinthumb
I am hoping the Motherboard is otherwise ok, it may have been moisture that caused the fault

You can find out how to clear the CMOS settings, further down on this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07557&dlc=en#N997

using any type of electronics that has been shorted is dodgy at best. If it works, fine, if it doesn't you'll have to replace it. There are no other solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back