Dead processor? AMD Phenom II X6

EXCellR8

I continue to struggle in getting one of my latest builds working, and this time I have a feeling that the CPU could be dead. It is a brand-new AMD 1090T six-core processor that I bought from Newegg last month. Problem is I switched from a seemingly broken MSI 790FX-GD70 to a brand new ASRock 890GX-Pro3, and alas it doesn't work either. When the system is turned on, the debug LED displays a series of fast numerical codes and then stops at "00" with no (onboard) video or other signs of life; does NOT POST. I have tried removing all but one memory module, removing graphics cards and clearing CMOS several times. I am using a 500w Corsair power supply.

This is a very similar issue I was having on the MSI board, where the debug LED would sit at "FF" and would not POST either. The only real difference is that this ASR board is equipped with UEFI BIOS but I haven't seen or have been able to actually use it at all. This is starting to lead me to the conclusion that the processor is dead, which has never happened to me before, but perhaps I need to get it replaced. Any thoughts?

Easiest solution would be to pop for a budget CPU or try to borrow a loaner. If the board boots you'll have your answer.
Conversely, send the CPU back and take your chances with the RMA.

Well if the board boots and it's not an X6 wouldn't that yield a null result? I mean I know both boards support the 1090T but if I use a X2/X3/X4 and it works so what?

Well if the board boots and it's not an X6 wouldn't that yield a null result?
No
The board will POST with a supported CPU or it wont. Number of cores is immaterial.
I mean I know both boards support the 1090T but if I use a X2/X3/X4 and it works so what?
If the board POST's with a x2/3/4 then obviously the board is fine. The ASRock board shipped with a BIOS that supports the 1090T down to Sempron...somehow I really doubt ASRock would ship a board whose functionality with a supported CPU amounts some flashing LED's. If you believe that this is a valid reduced feature set peculiar to hex-core CPU's offered by ASRock and MSI, I would suggest to shell out for a Gigabyte/Asus/Sapphire board, because I don't think that level of functionality is value for money.

Question everything

It's a shame that you made the extra spending not finding the "guilty one".
Have you checked up your PSU? I would question absolutely everything
before spending more money.

Oh, and don't get rid of your old MoBo just yet. IF the CPU is found OK,
you could request an RMA on the new MoBo and recover your money
(or at least credit it to your account).

Good luck.

Back