Dead system, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryxx

i'll list off my current system specs before I get started:

ASUS P5NSLI Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4gz (stock clock)
4gb Corsair XMS2 ddr2 pc6400 clocked down to 667mhz (mobo requirement)
150gb WD Raptor 10k rpm hardrive
Windows XP Home Edition (32bit)
BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb (550/1300/792)

My current problem is as follows:

I went to flash the bios on my motherboard to the newest on the asus website (1502 I believe). After the restart the system wouldn't load past the intial boot screen (the asus logo). I proceeded to pop out the battery on the mobo in an attempt to reset the cmos and return things to default. I waited a few minutes and popped the battery back in w/ no luck. The system continued to hang up on the logo screen (where you can press tab or del to enter setup. Shortly after, I was reaching inside to make sure the battery was firmly in place when I noticed a disconnected wire from my incase lighting. I accidently nudged it and it managed to make contact w/ the bulb along the side of the case. A short power surge, and the system shut down.

Everything seems to still power effectively. The green power indicator on the board still lights up correctly, The video card / hard drive / psu / case fans etc all function like normal. I no longer get ANY visual on my pc. I swapped out my video card / hard drive with some working backups but still no visual.

I am getting no beep code errors on my system at all. (I still get beep code errors for ex: when I take the 6pin power connector off of my graphics card)

I'm hoping it's only the motherboard that may be "shorted" and not the processor.

Is there anyway I can test the board / processor to see if it's faulty w/ out having a replacement to pop in? The processor has a watercooling system installed ( not by myself) and I don't want to ruin anything by trying to un-install it.

Any thoughts on the potential culprit? (I am just a novice computer builder so please bare with me)

Try another power supply first... I know things turn and lights are present, but the power supply still may be bad and it's the easiest and cheapest to replace

i'll have to check storage to see if I have a spare around. I'll have to wait until tomorrow as I recently packed all my old hardware into my storage unit. I'll give it a try for sure. Thanks for the response.

Processors rarely go out unless they are abused severely by heat or disastrous motherboard problems. Motherboards fail now and then, except for eMachines boards which fail more than all 87 other brands combined. Video cards, CPU Fans, Power Supplies, Optical drives fail frequently.
Like TMagic650, I am betting on the motherboard.

raybay said:
Like TMagic650, I am betting on the motherboard.

TMagic650 suggested the PSU?

It's good to hear that you don't think the processor will be effected. Worst comes to worst I can just order a new mobo + psu and rma back what isn't needed.

Silly Me.....I Dun Kilt it Twace.....

Are you sure you didn't kill the BIOS, then the mobo? Yeah I know, sort of the same thing, but still two different kinds of dead. Or two times dead.

Personal experience; pulled a video card with a machine turned on, saw a flash, burned out one head of the video board, (the card only showed blue on one channel), saw melty things on the motherboard, but the PSU (Antec Smartpower 400) still works just fine. CPU too, (Celeron 356).

Of course, your results may vary.

Right, that was stupid, but I panicked.

Emachines never promised anybody a rose garden. (Just thought I'd throw that in there).

Ordering a new 780i replacement today. although I am dreading the removal of the current water cooling system in place on my old board. Think I will switch over to a zalman HSF for this board as I had minimal results w/ the water cooling system for my cpu.

I'm just a novice builder (just started recently) and this machine was my first build. Lasted two years so I guess that isn't too bad. Just hope I can repeat the first installation with the new board.

wish me luck :D

Installed the new mobo. When I turn the unit it on it seems to only power the board. I get the onboard power light and nothing else turns on. Everything seems to be connected correctly. none of the case fans / hsf / vga card / hd turn on.

Any suggestions on what to check? (it's been awhile and i'm still a newbie)

Tmagic650 has been suggesting the power supply all along. What about that?

Sounds like either the Main power plug is not right. (20 or 24 pin connector) or you have PSU issues. Different things require different voltages, so you might have fans (12 Volts) but nothing else, or, USB (5 Volts) and nothing else. Do those durn AMD processor thingys have a 4 pin power plug? Are your case standoffs in correctly? An extra one or two of those things in the wrong place will bring the fun to a grinding halt:dead:

question: the psu itself, if plugged in via power cord to the wall, should the psu itself turn on when flipped? Should the fans etc all turn on if it just has the wall power cable and nothing else?

The motherboard turns on the power supply through the PSEN wire. Are you sure you have connected the AUX12volt plug near the CPU socket. Your motherboard manual should show this clearly. Go back through the manual and check everything carefully

I had the two 4pin connectors plugged into the 8pin 12v slot by the cpu as instructed (since my psu didnt have an 8pin connector). I'll go back through and check everything out.

so if the 24pin atx power connector is connected along w/ the 8pin 12v atx power connector it should trigger the psu when turned on?

The power supply's ATX connector is either 20 pins or 24 pins. If your power supply is old enough, this ATX connector is 20 pins, and you will leave 4 pins blank... If you connected two 4-pin connectors to the connector near the CPU socket, remove 1 of them. Even though the CPU connector has 8 pins only 4 should be used. Look over those instructions once more. This alone can cause your computer and power supply not to start

the ATX connector is 24 pins and the slot on the board is 24pins. The instructions in the manual are very basic. It basicly just says to make sure the pins are aligned with the connector on the motherboard and firmly plug it in and make sure it's secure. It then goes on to list each of the pin assignments. Then it simply tells me the 8pin atx 12v power connection is used to provide power to the cpu. ALign the pins to the connector and press firmly until seated :\

Sorry for the troubles, I'm just a bit lost =P

edit: still nothing w/ just 1 4pin connector in the 8pin slot. (on either side)

got it to power up via the powerbutton on the board itself, just can't seem to get the header pins working to trigger from my box :| atleast I know the psu is working.

So all you have to do now is to get the power switch from the case connected to the proper motherboard front panel header pins. The only connectors that need to be positioned with polarity in mind are the case power LED and the case hard drive activity LED. The case power switch and the reset switch have no polarity

Finally got the correct configuration. The color coordination was slightly off for the wires in my case :p

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back