Deciding on a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHof08

Hello everyone. I'm here asking for any recommendations for a soon-to-be college freshmen. Price range is about anything under $1,500 if need be. So I'll take any suggestions.

Also, what do you think about the Lenovo Y410 notebook or Lenovo 3000 Family N Series?

Thanks!

Are you only going to be using it for college work and Internet browsing?
If so then here we would buy something around £250 - £400 ($500 - $800) is normally good enough for a college freshman.
I'm not sure on American pricing, But we have to pay 17.5% tax on our products here so they would be cheaper there. You probably wouldn't even have to spend as much as I've said.

Hey, I'm a freshman as well and bought a Hp dv9000 just last year. I'm quite happy with it. It was much less expensive than Dell's equivalents, but I don't know much about other companies. whatever you do, try http://dealnews.com/. Also, google "coupon codes" for whatever model you think you might want. I saved a lot by doing so. Good luck!

You might want to think about how long you think it should last... Freshman year, or four years...
We service Lenovos as a major part of our service work.
Lenovo's are mostly terrific, but the 3000 is not one of them.
Consider an X-41, X-60 or other X-series because of their ruggedness and small size for portability. We have seen terrific luck with the T-41, T-42, T-43, and T-60... all better than the VISTA. The R-Series are pretty good, as well.
I have not used the Y410, or had my hands on a one.
On the other side, male college students often "need" a gamer laptop, more than they need the reliability and ruggedness of the Lenovo. For them, I would consider the HP's, Toshiba's, Gateways. and Dells in the upper half of their price ranges... You can tell the good ones because they have a long term warranty available (for extra cost, of course).
On cheaper models, Screens go bad too often. Hard drives fail too frequently when they get much lateral shock.
Bottom line: Spend a little more now, and you will spend less over the life of the laptop.
Stay away from Sony VAIO, Alienware, Winbook, Compaq, and others if reliability is a big issue with you.
Also, resist the urge to have passworded computer or hard drives. They will cost you more than others when it comes to repair and maintenance.

i agree with woody1191 for the price range.. spending an insane amount on a laptop for college use cannot be justified

Of course, the problem revolves around "insane amount" I think the problem is actually spending money on a reliable model and brand. Lost research of academic data can be priceless.
If the laptop is used for academics, a decent price can be justified, but a low price is seldom justified if your data is at risk due to failing inverters, failing hard drives, poor tech support, or costly and late arriving parts.

raybay said:
Stay away from Sony VAIO, Alienware, Winbook, Compaq, and others if reliability is a big issue with you.
I got my sister a Sony Vaio for Christmas last year ('07) and even though she beats the crap out of it, slams it around, and in general makes it's life hell, it's actually not had ANY problems really.
It was one of the Sony Vaio NR series... I don't remember which one specifically...
But in any case, the little thing has held up pretty darn well, and was a good buy for the $700 price tag...

As far as currently recommending notebooks though, Sager Notebooks (http://sagernotebook.com), has apparently been gaining popularity lately.
One of my friends bought one from them and it's really nice... he paid a lot, like 2,500, but that was because he had every feature imaginable on it, top of the line everything.
They start under $1,000 though, and I was considering buying one of their tiny ultra-portable ones, but I need some more info about the graphics cards in them first...

In any case, I'd highly recommend looking at Sager Notebooks and at Sony's Vaio series.

raybay said:
I would consider the HP'sin the upper half of their price ranges...
Stay away from Compaq if reliability is a big issue with you.
You know that HP and Compaq are the same company =)

Your statements kinda don't make sense LOL

HP's and Compaqs are part of the same company. But the administration and tech support are different. and the models are made in different plants. There is actually very little comparison between Compaq and HP laptops if you tear them down. Compaq is the low end line by intent.
I take it you have not disassembled many laptops;.

techflame23 said:
Dells are nice, inspirons give you good value for money. You can also pick the colour you get it in.
I personally don't usually care what color my stuff is... as long as it works well.

Dell is okay, but in the past I've had bad experiences with them, and I usually don't buy from them.
Although the newer laptops they've put out have been gaining a better reputation...
Their customer support still sucks, and they're usually overpriced...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back