Defrag or Analyze won't fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hard drive added to my PC about 4 months ago - at that time we moved the My Documents to the new drive (I have what seems to be a million digital photos.... hence the new drive).

Recently - I went to defrag the C drive - just as a normal course - the button is highlighted - but when I click on it - nothing happens. Same with the Analyze button. They just won't fire - for either drive.

Has this been seen before? What could corrupt the this functionality?

I have a Gateway 500X - purchased in 2003.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254: Service Pack 2).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might like to try downloading the free and very good Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.4.16.308 from the CNET download site.
or turn off all security when you attempt to defrag using Windows.

The behavior you describe is often a consequence of not having the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service running.
Even if set to manual, the Service will not initiate by simply starting the defrag utility.

To access 'Services" in XP, open a Run box from the Start Menu and type: services.msc.
Scroll down to DCOM Server Process Launcher and right click it. I

In the dialog box that opens, use the small central drop-down menu to select Automatic. Click Apply. This will ensure that the Service starts with Windows at boot. Before clicking OK, press the small "start" button to the left of the dialog box. This will start the Service immediately.

It is very easy to get into serious difficulties by changing the settings for Services in XP. I suggest that you return all settings to XP default, and then begin to investigate them one-at-a-time.

Quick default Services list: tech-recipes.com/windows_tips236.htm

These 2 sites offer solid info on XP Services:
Black Viper (for SP3): blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Black Viper (for SP2): blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/servicecfg.htm
The Elder Geek: theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Black Viper is a little more aggressive, The Elder Geek a little more conservative.
Compare and contrast to determine your needs.

It is important to remember that if a Service is Disabled, it simply will not work until reset from services.msc. However, if a Service is set to manual, it will most often be started automatically by the system if needed. Periodically review your Services list for "Manual" Services that are always running. Your particular system needs them, and it will reduce the burden on the system at boot if they are simply set to Automatic.

It is strongly suggested that changes to Services be made one-at-a-time so that it is possible to determine which Service setting is causing the issue at hand.

As long as we are on the subject of Defragmentation, let me suggest free JkDefrag: kessels.com/Jkdefrag/
Ugly as sin and twice as fast. Defrags very full disks and optimizes even those system files skipped by the native defragger.

Defraggers work according to various different methodolgies. It is best to stick with one. After all, if I have a gal come in and straighten up my house, and like the job, I keep using her. Someone else might do a good job as well, but things would be in different places. Why change one 'good order' for another? It's just a strain on the system and disk.

That was an extremely excellent response 1101doc. You couldn't have made a more perfect post. Thanks and keep it up. I hope we get more posts like yours on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back