Deleted Linux partion from dual boot now can't start

monton

I deleted the Ubuntu partition from a XP Home/Ubuntu dual boot system. I needed the space on the drive for Windows data & programs. I used parted magic and expanded the remaining primary partition. On boot I get the following

GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait
Error 22

That is all I get

I need to be able to launch into Windows for work related data. How do I remove GRUB and will that allow windows to start?

Any suggestions? I'm a bit at a loss right now on how to proceed.
Thanks for any help
Monton

Do you have Windows XP install media? You could do a repair install. I'm not sure about Windows XP, but Windows 7 will repair damaged or missing boot files.

I don't have the OEM XP Home disk but have an XP Pro. I'm taking another shot at it and will report back

It's the MBR that needs a fix to point to the XP partition (which is just fine).

From the recovery console (from XP Pro disk) I tried the following

bootcfg /disableredirect
and
fixboot

neither worked

I then tried fixmbr and despite the ominous message about life as we know it would end and the possibility of unleashing 7 great plagues upon the earth, I continued. Rebooted and all is well

Thanks for the help
Monton

You're welcome :grin:

Years ago, I had a 'professional IT help-desk' person give up on such an issue and said "Oh well, I'll just reimage the drive" to which I shrieked "Like Heck; I'll fix it myself" - - took some reading, but that experience lead me to saving my system and now it's also saved yours. Gives me a warm fuzzy for the rest of the day :)

Back