Deleting files in startup

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman] [FONT=Times New Roman] [FONT=Times New Roman]I reformatted my computer and now I have quite a few files in my start up file in the system configuration utility. Can I delete any of these files or can any of these files be deselected so they do not run on startup? If they can be deleted, how can I delete those ones? I know how to choose which ones I do not want to have run as the computer starts up but just don't know which files should be left to startup up with the computer. I have attached two files of a screen print of all the files in the system configuration utility.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]Tpitch[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Attachments

• Startup files #1.jpg
    Startup files #1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Startup files #2.jpg
    Startup files #2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 15
I'm on a laptop and there are lots of reasons to trim unnecessary processes.
These include
  • * User Startups
  • * System Services

User startups are frequently created when software is installed and are found in the

%userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup folder.​

Everything there will be a shortcut to the location where the program was installed. If you remove a specific shortcut, then that program will not start when that user logs onto the system.
(hint: you can also add .inactive as a suffix and keep the the file for latter reuse)

Win/XP users:
%userprofile% is the c:\documents and users\
location where every logon ID is found as a folder name. One will be there for evey user of the system and the common area is named All Users

Vista & Win/7:
%userprofile% on these systems is c:\users\
Other than the directory names, the process of removal is identical with Win/XP

Frequently, a program installer will place a shortcut in the \
All Users\start menu\programs\startup folder - -
be sure to at least investigate for any there.

System Startups are primarily in the Services (some in the registry).

From an ADMIN login, get a Command Prompt and enter SERVICES.MSC
First thing you can do is to disable UPDATE type services,

eg: Google Update, JUSCHED,​

by changing the Startup Type to DISABLE
Some others I elect to disable (Win7 system) include

Dell Delivery (it's a dell laptop)
Encrypting File System
Routing & Remote Access
(used only when your pc has two nics like this
isp -- yourPC ---- other PCs )
SMNP Trap​

There's a rash of services I set to Startup Type = MANUAL, (some persons will argue this list)
which still allows them to run, but only IF/WHEN they are accessed:

Apple Mobile Device
ASP.NET State
ALL of the MS .NET stuff
Nero Update
All Remote* stuff
SPP Notification
stllssvr
Tablet PC Input Srvc
Webclient
Windows (activation.., Backup, error Reporting, Media Center...)
WMI Performance​

BTW: get a command prompt and enter TASKLIST /SVC >myStartups.txt
and attach myStartups.txt to your followup - - much easier to read and see the total
impact of your startups :)

jobeard has given you a great overall description of Startup entries. Follow his help for the Services. They run under process names you won't recognize.
=============================
Startup Menu:
My standard advice of what needs to be checked on the Startup Menu is:
1. Antivirus program
2. Firewall if using 3rd party firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm
3. Touchpad process if on laptop
4. Network process(es) is using Pure Network/Cisco
Nothing else*****

*****Look in the middle section >>Command<<of the images of the Startup Menu> that will show you what the process is associated with:
startup-files-1-jpg.73613

To expand the Command Column, (this shows what the process 'belongs' to) hold left mouse button down on the dividing line on frame above Location and move to the right to expand.

None of the processes you have checked above need to start on boot unless the ISP uses 2Wire. The navigation bar on the right is slightly down from the top so if the AV, FW, etc. are on that section, fine.

For instance, the process in the 2nd line is Reader_sl If you look in the Command section, you will see this belongs to the Adobe Reader. Neither this process nor any of the other processes checked in the image need to start on boot.

The first checked process is igfxpers.exe. But the Command sections doesn't help with the ID.
Command: C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
A search of the process will tell you it's "Associated with the Common User Interface module for Intel graphics cards". But it doesn't need to start on boot either. But you won't want to delete it> just uncheck it on the Startup Menu.
==============================
startup-files-2-jpg.73614

Many of the above are auto-updates: iTunes Helper, QBReminder, RealPlay, jusched, HPWuSchd2, mmtask: these are controlled from within the programs themselves and/or any scheduled tasks you have set up. You can run TeaTimer if you want- I don't
-----------------------------
Please understand that unchecking a process so it doesn't start on boot doesn't mean you should delete it. All of those processes belong to something. For instance, all those HP entries belong to Hewlett Packard. They are overly generous with their bulk and it all gets put on the Startup Menu> none of the HP processes need to start on boot. But if you delete the processes altogether, the computer may not run or the printer may not print.
--------------------------------
If you uninstall programs properly, most of the entries will be removed:
1. Use progrm uninstaller as first choice if it has one.
2. Use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel if there is no uninstaller.
3. If you can't uninstall the program either of the ways, use the > Windows Installer CleanUP Utility
This can also be use for any 'left over' entries
--------------------------------
Note: If you are going to use the msconfig utility to make changes on the Startup Menu, choose Selective Startup then the Startup tab.
NOTE:
When you reboot the system the first time after making changes using the msconfig utility, a nag message comes up that can be ignored and closed after checking 'don't show this message again.' Remain in Selective Startup to retain those changes.

Back