Dell 2400 CPU upgrade

Hello to everyone. From what I've read so far theres alot of well informed individuals here.Would like to upgrade dell 2400 cpu from p4. 2.4/512/533 with 1.25g ram to a faster cpu with faster fsb is that easy and what maxs it out . I have a SL7E3 2.8/1m/800 p4 switched it out. all I have was power on blank screen .Iam lost Did i go to big with cache or fsb or what. Its a 478 socket. Thanks in advance.

The best CPU for Socket 478 was the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz (Gallatin). It will be difficult to find one.

There are a couple listed on eBay.

Not worth the upgrade though. I would suggest that you wait till you have enough cash to change your entire rig.

Thanks Ritwik7. Im trying to just tweek it . Dont have $.So my question is did I buy the wrong brand compatible cpu I looked it up by SL7e3 found out it was Prescott 2.8/1m/800, is that where I went South.Some where I saw someone say motherboard compatiblity v.s. 478 socket. Would 3.4ghz work if 2.8ghz prescott didnt. Thanks.

It would seem that the Dell Dimension 2400 does not support P4 CPUs which have an FSB of over 533Mhz and L2 cache size greater than 512KB. That would leave you with the option of getting yourself a Northwood processor, not Prescott.

So yes, you did get the wrong CPU. Your best bet would be the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 (with HT).

Back