Dell announces three new VR-ready Alienware laptops

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Dell’s Alienware brand of gamer-oriented computers has unveiled three new laptops based on Nvidia’s latest 10-series graphics cards. The systems, marketed specifically for virtual reality, include the Alienware 13, Alienware 15 and Alienware 17.

The flagship Alienware 17 can be configured with a 120Hz Nvidia G-Sync panel, an overclocked Intel Core i7-6820HK processor running at up to 4.1GHz, up to 32GB of DDR4 2,400MHz RAM and of course, Nvidia’s GTX 1080 with 8GB of GDDR5 memory.

The “mid-range” Alienware 15, meanwhile can also be equipped with a 120Hz G-Sync panel, a standard 15.6-inch FHD, IPS anti-glare screen or an UHD IGZO 4K display. Configuration options include up to the same Core i7-6820HK CPU, 32GB of RAM and Nvidia’s GTX 1070 graphics card. Details are a bit sparse on the Alienware 13 although we do know it’ll be outfitted with Nvidia’s GTX 1060 GPU.

As you’d expect, all three will ship running Windows 10.

Both the Alienware 17 and Alienware 15 will be available in the coming weeks in the US and select countries around the globe. The smaller Alienware 13 won’t arrive until November. Pricing will depend on options selected and local markets, we’re told.

I’ve reached out to Dell for a more detailed list of specifications and will update this story accordingly when I hear back.

Permalink to story.

Damn it, I got the 17, March this year, If only I had the patience to not play games for half a year I could have got the same laptop but with a 1080 in :p

I'm sure all (eight of) the lady gamers out there will enjoy the pink highlights...

Seriously though seems like a good machine, but overkill on RAM. Put that money into a bigger battery instead. 16 GB is plenty for gaming.

I'm sure all (eight of) the lady gamers out there will enjoy the pink highlights...

Seriously though seems like a good machine, but overkill on RAM. Put that money into a bigger battery instead. 16 GB is plenty for gaming.
I'm not so sure on that, The battery life is actually really good when your not playing games. I can easily get 5 hours + out of it browsing the web and watching movies. I even used it to edit video in adobe elements on battery for a couple of hours and it still had plenty of juice left.

Once you load up a game, an hour tops, if it's a hard to run game, 30 minutes, if you remove all the power saving stuff, 20 minutes if you're lucky :p

I guess the Extra RAM is for people who like to run virtual machines or load games into a RAM Disk or something of that nature.

When the 13" has a decent option for proc and video card I'll get it straight away!

Back