Dell Inspiron 1525

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that has completely died. I'm not sure what happened to it exactly, as there is not evidence of a drop or a spill, but there are no signs of life whatsoever. I took the battery out, and plugged in the adapter. I know the adapter works fine as the little green light comes on when it's plugged in, and I tried it in another laptop in which it worked. When I hit the power button nothing happens. No lights turn on, or flash, no sounds are made...nothing. It's lifeless. I was thinking about just hitting eBay and ordering a new motherboard, but does anyone know if this is the right thing to do? I don't have the $100 bucks to throw down without being certain so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

This one is just over a year old. I figured it would be worth the risk before buying a new one, but I want to be sure I am making the right decision. Does it sound like it could be the motherboard?

Are you sure the battery is charged? Sometimes the problem is in the power plug port. Internal soldering breaks so no power via A/C cord reaches the m/b. So make sure the batter is charged (do you know someone else's computer you can charge the battery with?) and see if still same problem or not to first rule-out power port problem

Yeah, it's not the battery. I have another spare Dell laptop and have tried interchanging the batteries. I still have yet to try removing the wi-fi, ram and hard drive before booting it though. That is something i have to try.

Hi JAG,

Please post an update. Did you solve your problem? I have the same problem on my 2.5 year old Inspiron 1525 (power cord shows 19.5 volts but computer won't even light a single light).

Thanks.

I haven't yet. I have to order the parts on eBay and then replace them. I am about 90% sure it's the motherboard though. So when I try it out i'll let you know.

Hi JAG,

Please post an update. Did you solve your problem? I have the same problem on my 2.5 year old Inspiron 1525 (power cord shows 19.5 volts but computer won't even light a single light).

Thanks.
@Craig

If the AC/DC adpater is plugged in yet no lights appear and it the laptop appears dead the most common cause is either
> The DC power port is bad and/or
> It's soldering to the m/b is broken so there's no electrical connectivity to carry the current

You can prove your computer still works fine if you can borrow a compatible (and charged!) laptop battery and see your computer boot up

for more info google something like ac dc power port jack repair

I tried a charged laptop battery in mine, it still didn't work. I am waiting on the parts from eBay still though :-(

Back