Dell integrated webcam wont work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

britbrat87

When I attempt to use my webcam, I get the message "Please plug in a supported webcam"...but it's integrated. Msn messenger shows a cam icon when i sign in...but i get a gray screen when i start the cam.

I dont have my dell cd...so If i uninstall the driver would i need the to use the cd to reinstall? btw ive already tried updating the driver but that didnt help.

Thanks!

-Dell Studio 1537
-Live! Virtual integrated webcam
-Windows Vista 32 bit

Yeah, I actually just checked that page out a few mins ago. I tried to download the driver and when it got to about 90% it stopped and I got an error message :( ...Thanks, though.

1) Has the cam ever worked?

2) Look in Device Manager for the cam. Can you find it? (Probably under Imaging Device category)

3) If you see it does it have a yellow or red icon on it? or not?

4)And what kind of error message did yoiu get when you tried installing the driver?

Yeah, It just recently stopped working (maybe 4 days ago). Before that, some days the program wouldnt acknowledge the cam but when i'd restart it, everything was fine. Now I cant get it to start at all.

I took a look in Device Manager and my cam isnt listed anywhere.

and..the error message says "An error occurred while setting up the driver". Happens every time it's at 90%.

Hmm... i suspect the cam might have died.. :(

Try this
> Close DevMgr
> Rt click Computer->Properties
> Click Advanced System Settings
> Click Environment Variables button
> In upper part of Window you'll see System Variables. Click New
> For Variable name, enter or copy/paste
Code:
[B]devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices[/B]
>For value enter
Code:
> Click OK

Open Device Manager. In menu bar click View->Show Hidden Devices

Many new devices should now appear in DevMgr. Now look for the cam again. Does it appear now? Does it have a semi-transparent icon??

btw..is computer still under warranty?

My bay-beh!! lol...poor thing coughed its last cough huh? :(....sucks. ..I guess ill have to take the old girl to get repaired.

Thanks for your time, LookinAround :)

Actually, i expected your cam to appear as a "nonpresent" device after you set the environment variable

By default, Windows only displays connected devices in DevMgr. So, normally the cam should appear.

If the cam died, it would explain it not appearing. But then i'd expect to have seen it after you changed DevMgr to display "Nonpresent" devices. Then i thought the cam would appear as a "Ghost" (it would appear as a device with a semi-transparent icon)

But in any case, sounds like Dell repair is the easiest next best step!

Hope you get your bay-beh back! G'luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back