Dell internal modem connection

O negative

My old Latitude D820 recently suffered the purple lines of death. The video went out (dark unit).

Luckily, I found an identical working D820 that I could swap hard drives. Problem is that this backup had a modem problem. I figured that I could fix it by swapping the modem from the dark unit. The modems are identical and the one from the dark unit was working just fine. I get a code 45 in the device manager. I get a full description of the modem. Under network connections is says "modem removed" full description(COM3). When I look at the ports under device manager I see only COM1 even after asking to see hidden devices.

I tried to reinstall using "detect new hardware". This modem problem existed before and I never had time to figure it out. Now I really want to. I think the modem should be detected at boot-up unless it really is not plugged in. Bad motherboard/sockets?

It's probably a bad modem connector on the motherboard. You can try using a USB external modem

I figured it out myself: The internal modem was "Off" in the BIOS. I switched to "Enable" and now I'm dialed in. (To get into BIOS on this machine, hold the F2 key during power-up.)

Back