Dell is reportedly considering selling itself to VMware, its own subsidiary

Polycount

Staff

Dell could be looking to regain its status as a public company according to a recent CNBC report. Its return to public ownership, however, could be a bit unorthodox.

According to sources "familiar with the matter," Dell is considering the possibility of selling themselves to VMware -- a company they acquired in 2015 -- in a landmark "reverse-merger." That said, CNBC's sources say this is only one of many options on the table for the tech giant. Dell is reportedly considering pursuing other, more traditional means of becoming a public company once again such as holding a second public offering or purchasing VMware's remaining 20 percent stake.

Though other options may be more straightforward, a reverse-merger could be quite beneficial to Dell. As VMware is already a public company, Dell would effectively be taking themselves public as well, eliminating the headaches associated with holding a second public offering.

Dell and VMware spokespeople declined to comment on the matter.

As CNBC notes, a VMware-Dell merger could potentially be the biggest technology deal ever, second only to Dell's aforementioned $67 billion acquisition of VMware parent company EMC back in 2015.

Permalink to story.

Dell lost their way. What started out as a great company where a person could customize their computer for their specific needs now force feeds their "systems" with limited alterations and they are anything but accommodating. Really sad, I used to specify their equipment, configured to my standards for all my clients. Now they are often better off just buying off the shelf ...... truly disappointing!

Dell lost their way. What started out as a great company where a person could customize their computer for their specific needs now force feeds their "systems" with limited alterations and they are anything but accommodating. Really sad, I used to specify their equipment, configured to my standards for all my clients. Now they are often better off just buying off the shelf ...... truly disappointing!

Can't speak on other aspects of dell but their monitors are still good for business. Still by far the most popular brand in that regards.

This would be like IBM trying to sell itself to Microsoft. It's own [private] subsidiary.

Somebody tell me why anybody would want to go public if they could avoid it.
No clue. Dell is in a situation which virtually no other tech company is in right now and all the decisions they make won't be hampered by some short-sighted board of directors, but now I hear they want to throw it all away and go back to the public cesspool of fear, speculation, gambling, and corruption that is the stock market? Hopefully this is all just baseless rumor because otherwise I don't even

Back