Dell just announced a 27-inch UltraSharp 5K monitor

Jos

Staff

dell

The computing world hasn’t yet moved to 4K displays in any meaningful way, but if you’re among the early adopters that have taken the plunge, I’ve got news for you: Dell is already working to make your investment obsolete. The company just announced the UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K with a whopping 5120 x 2880 resolution. That’s the equivalent of 14.7 megapixels, a significant step up from the approximately 8.3MP found in a standard 3840 x 2160 4K monitor.

In terms of pixel density Dell’s monitor comes in at 218ppi, which is about on par with the 15" MacBook Pro Retina’s 220ppi but on a much larger surface.

Dell's being light on technical details but it did mention a pair of 16W Harman Kardon speakers, Dell's PremierColor technology, a media card reader, and six USB ports. Maximum PC got a quick demo of the unit and reports it needs two DisplayPort 1.2 connections to achieve its full resolution.

This also gives some hints as to how Dell got to this number. Anandtech suggests Dell is probably using Multi-Stream Transport (MST) to combine two 2560×2880 panels and two outputs into a single tiled display. While there’s no mention of frame rates, taking this assumption it’s fair to say Dell will not be aiming this at gamers but rather at graphics professionals.

As you’d expect, it won’t be cheap either. The Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K will be out closer to Christmas with a price tag of $2,500.

Permalink to story.

Considering that 2560 x 1440 on a 27" is today's best choice for monitor, the same format but with 1x4 pixels is the most likely candidate to become the new coveted monitor / standard in the near future, because it will offer the perfect experience at 200% scaling.

It is especially important for those who does 4K editing professionally, because one needs to see it at native resolution while also having access to a myriad of editing tool-bars around it. At present they have to use 2 screens for that, but with this new monitor it becomes possible.

Last edited:
"Dell is already working to make your investment obsolete."

This is great news! This means hi-res adaptation will [hopefully] accelerate which in turn means that significantly more programs will be written to take into account hi-res monitors!

Why would you want that on a screen that size? When they make hi def tvs, 32 inch and less are usually 720p.

Mmmm. I really want this. For those that may not realize...

1080p is 2,073,600 pixels.
4K is 8,251,200 pixels.
5K is 14,745,600 pixels.

I really want this monitor!

Mmmm. I really want this. For those that may not realize...

1080p is 2,073,600 pixels.
4K is 8,251,200 pixels.
5K is 14,745,600 pixels.

I really want this monitor!
everyone is forgetting the fact that if this continues graphic cards would be I bet a year late on technology to hold the 5k monitors unless u actually have a hell of a rig u can forget getting playable fps rates anywhere but anyways.this is still being introduced so il happily tag along :) seems nice though

..so, uuh, how many vga cards do I need to run game at 5120x2880 resolution with high setting at 30fps?

With a 5K monitor you would probably end up playing your games at 2560x1440 and hope that everything scales well. Since 5K is literally 4 times the resolution of 2560x1440 it should mean each pixel consists of a block of 4 when in game or running at a said resolution. If you're playing an older game where you can actually run at 5K you return performance by disabling AA since you probably won't need it or very much of it.

Who will buy 4K or 5K for 720x576 aired TV in Europe like RTL?
And why?

..so, uuh, how many vga cards do I need to run game at 5120x2880 resolution with high setting at 30fps?

VGA is being phased out since it's an older standard. Heck! DVI is being phased out! I believe most new cards going forward will be DP or mDP.

Back