Dell Laptop M5010 with random BSODs - several each day

I got a new laptop before Christmas and it's been nothing but trouble since I got it. I get the BSOD randomly, but mostly when the laptop is waking up. The random nature makes me think it's a memory corruption issue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all sorts of stuff and done my best to ensure the drivers are up to date. This is my fourth Dell computer, and I've never had trouble with any of them except this one. Two years ago I rebuilt my PC with a Gigabyte MD, Intel Processor, and new memory, so I'm somewhat familiar with fixing computer issues. With this new Windows 7 on this laptop, I've had to learn how to examine the memory dump files, but I'm not able to sort out the problem. I'll attach a zip file with the last 5 dump files and the .sysdata file from two days ago. I would appreciate any help you can give me with this problem.

Thanks

Here are some specs of the laptop:
Dell Inspiron M5010
Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core 2.2 GHz
4 GB RAM, part # M471B5773CHS-CH9
Western Digital SATA HD
SATA CD ROM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4250 with Catalyst Control Center installed

Attachments

• 013011-24788-01.zip
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
The only thing definitively cited as your issue is the video card driver atikmdag.sys but as you said you updated all drivers. I take it you did this from Dell's website, correct? if not, that is where you should update the very latest video card drivers from.

One dump, however, cited simply hardware. Have you run memtest for a minimum of 7 Passes?

Between your various error codes and the randomness of your system crashes there is the possibility that RAM may be the issue. Memtest, free and safe, is designed to test memory.

Well, I ran memtest twice tonight and it passed both times. It takes a little less than an hour for each test. I tried to run memtest last night, but before I could try it, I used the wrong function key and ended up in the Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment. That also included a memory test and it passed. However, there were two failures of the Pre-Boot System Assessment. One was error code 2000-0333 Video test unsuccessful and the other was error code 2000-0142 unsuccessful. I looked them up on the Dell website and they say to remove and re-install the video card and the hard drive. I'm not sure if that will really help, but the hard drive is not accessible from the outside like my old Dell laptop, and the video card is not easily accessible from the only removable panel on the bottom of the laptop. Any ideas?

Thanks

For your video card try the following:

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest video diver(s) from Dell for your video card but don't install them. Make sure these video drivers are for your exact model.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

What is the make of your harddrive and how old is this system?

Go to Western Digital's website. They will have a free harddrive diagnostic tool. Make sure you run the long test.

Well Route44, you're giving me all the right suggestions. I downloaded the WD diagnostic software and the hard drive fails the quick test. It also fails the quick test included in the PC Doctor software. I haven't run driver sweeper yet, but I plan to this evening or tomorrow morning. The failure message I got from the WD software is "Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test)." Some of the stuff I read online seems to indicate that I shouldn't have write caching on the hard drive enabled and that if I do, that might cause the problem. I changed it, but it had no effect. I'll see what driver sweeper can do for me.

Thanks

Back up everything NOW. There is the strong probability your harddrive is failing and data recovery from a crashed harddrive is expensive.

Back