Dell Latitude D620: Right click keeps clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys,
I cant find anyplace else to post this, last Sunday my Latitude D 620 started right clickeing by itself all the time, I replaced the "Palm Rest" which includes the touch pad and buttons and it still is doing it.
I tried a hard drive that was working perfectly that I removed two months ago because I wanted a bigger one and it does the same thing , so it cant be a viris or malware.
Has anyone ever seen this before?

The palm rest or keyboard data (flat ribbon small cable) is not pushed in all the way
I usually use tweazers (or tiny electronic pliers) and hold and push it in, then lock in the side clamps

phantom right clicking on Dell 620

The palm rest or keyboard data (flat ribbon small cable) is not pushed in all the way
I usually use tweazers (or tiny electronic pliers) and hold and push it in, then lock in the side clamps

I have replaced the entire top "new part" "called palm rest" which has the touch pad buttons and fingerprint scanner, that assembly has a seperate plug.
Are you saying that the keyboard could be causing this and not another periferal?

The keyboard is usually also removed with the palmrest (I'm mean separately, but when replacing the palmrest)
Anyway, I've had similar issue and it was just the data cable not pushed in all the way (they do seat in a bit)

Phantom Mouse Clicks

Hey,
Yes I had to remove the keyboard and the entire display "screen" to remove the palmrest, all that has been done, and a new assembly purchased and installed.
and reassembled. I have also noticed that on some programs the phantom right click happens very infrequently, for example during this posting, The right click from the mouse and the palmrest work properly,
last night I swapped "right/left" and it did not do it as much.
I use a wireless keyboard and mouse via a USB device, BUT it does it when everything else is dissconnected. All USB devices / hub is disconnected.
After bootup the desktop popup appears just like the desktop was right clicked for properties ect comes on by itself.
Anymore ideas, can the internal mouse be turned of in bios, I see that I can dissable the usb mouse in control panel but not the internal one

Hey Kimsland,
Do you mean the data cable for the palmrest or the ribben cable for the Keyboard, and the second one for the litte pointer on the keyboard,Yes it is fun trying to hold two of them in and push the locking mechinisem in, If the keyboard ribbin cable is not in it wont turn on because the power button is a part of the keyboard ribbin

Yes I mean only the Palm Rest ribbon cable.
But I also mentioned the keyboard too (I re-read my post, and it may have sounded like only keyboard, which was not what I meant)

I'm saying that you should try again (irritatingly for you) to push in hard (I use to) the small ribbon cable to the Palm Rest, then clip it in (You can even ask someone else to push in the clips with a small (ideally plastic) flat screwdriver like, tool; on those clips.

By the way, you can just leave the keyboard out (to test), it still boots without it in
Other than that - faulty, brand new Palm Rest (which I'd say would be likely at that point)

Faulty new Palm Rest

Hey Bud,
Yes that crossed my mind as the new one has a small goudge inthe plastic right in frount and did not come in a static bag from the supplier, funny thing I thought a supposedly brand new dell part with a ding in the cosmetics and no anti static. I think later today I will pull the plug on the palm rest assembly out of the mother board socket and see if the problem goes away, I don't use the keyboard on the laptop except when I leave the house with it which is about once a month for a day, and was not useing the laptop keyboard or touch pad when this problem appeared last Sunday.

Small point here, yes you can leave the keyboard out "not screwed in" or folded down, but the ribben cable must be in the socket for the on off switch to function as it is mounted on the keyboard frame on a D-620

Well I worked for Dell for 6 years as field service support
And I can tell you now that your Palm Rest if new, should have come in an AntiStatic bag (even just plastic parts did)

BUT 99% of all parts sent out were refurbished ie we thought they were working !
It wasn't until the customer said the new one wasn't working properly either, we knew then that it was faulty

Therefore I'm pretty positive that yours is the test to see if its faulty or not
YEP, it is, just like the last customer reported it, he must have been telling the truth ;)

Sad I know :(

That is disturbing news, as in they shipped one we ordered on Tues for second day for 27 $ and they shipped it ground instead of second day, when it did not arrive we ordered this one next day for 47$ shipping on a 39$ part, it would appear that the one arriving here on monday may be another refirbished one also. Is there any software that can watch for and look for random handshakes from the touchpad, I did the dell diagnostics and it showed no anomolies. I realy did not expect it to. We were going to refuse the Monday shipment but now suppose we should try that one too "perhaps only if it is in a static bag"

It is Fixed now no more phantom right clicks

Turns out it WAS the Keyboard, that was causing the phantom right clicks. No one has told me how or why a keyboard or what combination of keys being pressed would duplicate a right click. But there it is for everyone to concider.
Thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back