Dell now accepting pre-orders for Windows 8.1, Bay Trail-powered Venue 8 Pro tablet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dell windows

Dell is joining the likes of Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba in introducing a Bay Trail-powered, Windows 8.1 small form factor tablet. The Dell Venue 8 Pro is now available for pre-order priced at $299 with an estimated ship date of October 25 but how does it stack up against the competition?

Dell’s latest will ship with a quad-core Intel Atom Z3740D Bay Trail chip (codenamed Silvermont) rated at up to 1.8GHz. This anticipated processor is said to offer performance that approaches the company’s lower-end mainstream Core processors.

Elsewhere, the Venue 8 Pro packs 2GB of single channel DDR3L-RS 1600MHz RAM, 32GB of flash storage and an 8-inch IPS display with a resolution of 1,280 x 800 (189 PPI). There’s a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 1.2-megapixel shooter up front and for an extra $34.99, you can get Dell’s optional Active Stylus. With Windows 8.1, however, this accessory might not see a ton of use unless you plan to do a lot of note taking or the like.

Compared to the competition, the Venue 8 Pro looks like a solid deal. It’s $30 cheaper than the Acer Iconia W4 and the Toshiba Encore and priced at the same $299 as the Lenovo Miix2. All three slates use the same Bay Trail processor and an 8-inch, 1,280 x 800 display and all come bundle with Office Home & Student 2013.

Ultimately your decision will come down to styling preference and supporting features like camera megapixels and optional accessories. Either way you slice it, however, the 8-inch tablet market is more appealing now than ever as we head into the lucrative holiday buying season.

Permalink to story.

IF this was android tablet then it would end more cheaper in price
nice to see tablets price coming down even with full windows os

I want such a tablet, and so far the Dell looks pretty good. I'm waiting for the keyboard to start selling and for reviews, as well as reviews of the competing tablets.

I don't get why MS keeps criying about lossing market share in the future because of the tablet and cellphone sector, how they expend fortunes buying companies related with that, and they are unable to release an aforable and with good specs windows 8 tablet....

After reading about the stylus with its hover support, which I assume allows me to use it like a mouse (move the cursor without clicking), I'm pretty much set on buying the Dell. My plan is to play adventure games on my tablet, and this functionality would allow for pixel hunting which normal touch doesn't.

I was hoping this would come with a Z3770 in a separate configuration to support 4 GB RAM, but no such luck. They have "configurations" which are just accessories. Oh well, I will look elsewhere for a 4 GB RAM, Bay Trail tablet ....

Back