Dell Optiplex 745 SFF Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt

Hi, I recently bought this new Dell Optiplex 745 SFF computer off of my brother and I really need to upgrade this damn video card. I can't stand integrated. But since it is a Small Form Factor case, I am supposed to get an SFF video card. Well, I don't want one. So I was wondering if I can just modify the innards of the case and leave the door off and will it be fine to just use a normal non-low-profile Video Card in this case? It is PCI-E so if you know of any good cards for under $75 throw them at me, I just want to play The new Borderlands game. Thank you all.

Sure, leave the cover off. The motherboard is the same as the full width Optiplex 745, so if your office space is secure to prevent a cat or a box of Oreos from getting in there, you can do what you wish. I would cover the opening with a treated cheese cloth or other dust and lint preventative.
You can also find a lot of video cards where the only change need is the size of the install end. Take the hardware off an old junker card with matching components, you will be happy.
The real problem is that Optiplex power supply will not work well with some video graphics cards due to power demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back