Dell Optiplex 755 -- can I install a GTX 460?

maazcheema

Hi..
I have a dell optiplex 755 with 305 watt Power supply, Intel core 2 duo E7400 and a 2 GB Ram...i wanted to know weather my board is compatible wirh Nvidia GTX 460.. Thanks..Also plz telll me how to convert VGA into DVI..

Thnks

Hello maaz, I do believe a GTX 460 would fit inside of the case, but it would be a tight fit, also, you'd need to upgrade your PSU to handle the new GPU.

How much are you looking to spend?

Unfortunately I have bad news for you The GTX 460 is a dual slot card. Due to the design of the optiplex 755. BTX motherboard with an upward facing PCI-express slot on top and no blank above it you are limited to single slot cards. The good news is that the more powerful ATI Radeon HD6850 is available in single slot configuration, however the single slot version of the 6850 costs nearly $100 more than the dual slot version.
PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB single slot

For a PSU I would probably go with this: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W It is $45 after rebate an modular which is very impotent considering your relatively small case. There other PSUs out there that are better/higher wattage for similar prices but most of them have hardwired cables.

I was pretty much Hooked on GTX 460, so thats disappointing for me. Is there any way to remedy the situation like buying a new Dell casing that supports dual slot. Also can u give me ur take on the HD 6850. i have never used the Ati brand so im a bit affraid to experiment?

I was pretty much Hooked on GTX 460, so thats disappointing for me. Is there any way to remedy the situation like buying a new Dell casing that supports dual slot. Also can u give me ur take on the HD 6850. i have never used the Ati brand so im a bit affraid to experiment?

I've used ATI cards for years, ATI is currently owned by AMD. I once used nvidia cards as well although since the whole geforce 8400gs/8600gt overheating fiasco I have not purchased an nividia card. It appears that nvidia has corrected these issues and I would consider a card from them on my next build if their cards are competitive price/performance wise at that time. I currently have a Radeon HD5870 in my main system (no longer made but equivelent to a HD6950 performance wise) and it has been excelent performance wise. The 6850 is verry similar performance wise to the GTX 460 here is a comparison (this is a comparison of last year's cards but the 6850 is roughly equivelent to the HD5830) The HD5830 actually scores better than the gtx 460 in some benchmarks. The ATI HD 6850 has a slightly higher core clock and nearly three times the cores as the GTX 460 but the GTX 460 has a much higher memory clock. These more or less balance each other out making the HD6850 slightly better at some aplications and the GTX 460 slightly better at others. However due to this higher clock the GTX 460 runs much hotter and is far less efficent then the HD 6850 (This is why the GTX 460 is not avalible in single slot form).

Getting another case would be verry dificult today since the BTX formfactor is all but dead. Even if you could find a case The slot is likely too close to the motherboard IO pannel to fit another slot blank in between the PCI-express slot and the IO pannel.

Depending on the specs of your optiplex 755 you may want to consider building a new system. If you only have a Pentium dual core or 2mb L2 cache conroe or allendale Core 2 Duo (E4300,E4400,E4500,E4600,E6300,E6400) you can build a new system with a socket 1155 Pentium dual core or an AMD Phenom X2 for less than $200. (CPU, RAM, case, motherboard, you can reuse your current HDD and optical drive or replace them for another $60 or so) which will be more powerful than your current system. You will save about $100 on the video card by being able to use the cheaper dual slot version, so you end up with a new more powerful system for only $100 more than the upgrade would cost you. If you have a Core 2 Quad or 4mb L2 cache Core 2 Duo (E6550,E6600,E6700,E6750,E6850,etc.) It is likely worthwile to upgrade your current system.

megaman 598 may have a point on the PSU. Years ago OCZ was a good brand for the money but I haven't used one in a while so I'm not sure what they are like these days.

Yea, I've had a few friends get lemons from them, I've had RAM from them a while back that was just horrible. I only have 2 OCZ products in my home right now it's a mouse and waterblock, the mouse was $20 and it's a dream to use, the waterblock on the other hand, it's only there till I get the money for one from EK/Dangerden.

Now, on the GPU side, if you decided to go with Nvidia, STICK WITH EVGA they're THE best as far as it comes to RMAing anything is concerned and their RMA policy is "If we don't have the card you're sending in, we send one of equal or better performance" That's how I got the GTX 560Ti, my 260 decided to stop working. :D

I am thinking of upgrading my PSU, and change my casing.. Also my motherboard supports pcie x16 1.1 while GTX 460 is pcie 2.0.. I have read that the GTX 460 would work but it would get a serious performance hit. Is it true or its just a theory..???

I honestly don't think you'll get a hit in performance and just upgrading your PSU would be fine.

How much are you looking to spend on one? Also, please be aware tat Dell uses a motherboard format called BTX and it'll be VERY hard to find a case for it, you're better off buying a new motherboard+case and moving your current components to that motherboard+case.

i really appritiate u helping me here.. thnx allot..i live in pakistan so ill tell u the price im willing to pay in terms of rupees. I have a total of 30000 Rs. The GTX 460 costs about 21000 Rs. and the 500 watt PSU would be abt 6000.So i wouldnt be able to upgrade everything.. I am considering changing my motherboard..Can y suggest any which is pcie 2.0 and supports core 2 Duo..???

Here is a MSI Board that looks like it'd do well. As for ordering parts from somewhere in Pakistan, I'm sorry to say but I can't help you out there.

A new Case/Motherboard/PSU would be the first things to look at when it comes to upgrading your current computer, just keep in mind that you'll have to get a new heatsink/fan for your processor should you choose to get a new motherboard/case. But, as dmill said, you could just get a single slot card and just get a new PSU as well. Considering the GPU you will need has to have a single-slot cooler, you're severely limited on your choices.

I wouldn't really reccomend the Cooler Master. Cooler Master makes good cases, fans, and CPU coolers but their powersupplies are not all that good and Cooler Master is known for inflateing wattage rateings.

I would reccomend one of these instead:
Antec BP550 Plus 550W
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W At the moment this one has a 15% off promo code and a $20 rebate so it will be around the same cost as the Cooler Master.

+1 dmill89. The Cooler Master Extreme Power Series is not very good. Their rated efficiency of 80% is at temps of 25C or lower which cannot be realised within a small computer case.

Back