Dell releases 24" UltraSharp U2412M IPS display, costs $399

Jos

Dell has quietly pushed out a new UltraSharp monitor aimed at satisfying professional users' needs without quite getting into the professional display price range. The U2412M delivers over 2.3 million pixels with its 24-inch LED-backlit display and features in-plane switching (IPS) technology with a wide viewing angle of 178/178 degrees.

In terms of specs it's similar in many respects to the U2410, with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200, 16:10 wide aspect ratio and a 1000:1 contrast ratio. The dynamic contrast ratio has been bumped from 80,000:1 to 2,000,000:1, but the brightness is down from 400 cd/m2 to 300 cd/m2 and the response time is 8ms instead of 6ms. Additionally, AdobeRGB coverage is down from 110% to 96% and color support is down from 1.07 billion to 16.7 million. Those are all tolerable tradeoffs, however, considering the U2410 is selling for around $630 while Dell's new U2412M is just $400.

dell ultrasharp u2412m

Connectivity options include DVI-D with HDCP, DisplayPort, VGA, 4-port USB 2.0 hub and DC power output for the Dell Soundbar, and its base allows users to tilt, swivel, height, or pivot the display to either landscape or portrait orientations. The Dell UltraSharp U2412M is available now from the company's online store and comes with a 3-year warranty.

Permalink to story.

That's really a pretty good deal for a 24" IPS panel, I've got the Dell U2711 and really like it.

yea i got the Dell U2410, i love it, i would love to see a monitor with the U2410 specs but with LED backlighting

Ahhhh...see how you guys are! I got all excited thinking this was going to be one of Dell's Ultrasharp models with the 2560 x 1600 native resolution. :(

I might have to get one of these. it really is a good deal compared to the price of other IPS monitors of that size. Also it's 16:10!

if this were to come out 2 years ago, i wouldn't have bought the C-PVA panels for my desktop. i would still get the pro series 2410 for better color and response time, but for the purpose of the comp i wanted for two years ago, which i really wanted to stay away from TN, this panel would've been perfect then.

Hurr, I just bought a Dell U2210H for $215 and love it; might get one of these in the future, thought maybe by then they'll have a fast responding IPS screen. =o

At least for me, the list price of the U2410 is $480... a far cry from the $630 reported. Other then the fact that it will likely last longer due to the LED backlight, I don't see why anyone would want one of these when the U2410 isn't that much more.

Thats not too bad.
1200P for $400...nothing special there though.

I have a U3011 and while the H-IPS at 7MS is great for gaming/multimedia its the 1600P that I bought it for. I'd get a stacked 24" 120hz 1200P before I'd get that U2412M. Not trying to nag it its nice, just my $02.

Morgawr said:
At least for me, the list price of the U2410 is $480... a far cry from the $630 reported. Other then the fact that it will likely last longer due to the LED backlight, I don't see why anyone would want one of these when the U2410 isn't that much more.

I second that, why is it reported as $630 when its clearly been $480 on their website for some time now. For $80 more I'll get the real thing. At first I thought wow, if it offered all the same features, great, I'll buy this! But since its neutered, I think not. The TS article. was a bit slacking with the misinformation there, even if that is the MSRP, thats not what it costs.

"AdobeRGB coverage is down from 110% to 96% and color support is down from 1.07 billion to 16.7 million"

Awww what why would they downgrade it? This is terrible.

captaincranky said:
"AdobeRGB coverage is down from 110% to 96% and color support is down from 1.07 billion to 16.7 million"

Why don't you get back to us on this when you can actually see 1.07 billion colors.

You're obviously not a professional photo editor which these monitors are meant for.

You're obviously not a professional photo editor which these monitors are meant for.
And just by happenstance you are? Well, the Adobe RGB color space well exceeds the gamut available on any known printing paper. Furthermore, 96 % of the color space also exceeds paper gamut. Jpeg reduces it further, and you lose even more when you prep for the web.

So, it's all real nice to run on about how dreadful the specs on these panels are, but I think you can do a quite decent job with them, and I actually have a degree in photography.

That's really a pretty good deal for a 24" IPS panel, I've got the Dell U2711 and really like it.
This HP is actually a better buy, (IMHO, than the U2412M): http://www.amazon.com/NEW-ZR24w-S-I...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311789632&sr=1-4 I have my suspicions that it may be the same panel, but HP has chosen 400 nits brightness rather than drop it to 300!

I have a Dell U2311; http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=320-9270 in addition to the HP I linked above. The U2311 comes at 300 nits brightness, and while it's great with everything pegged, I wonder if the reduced brightness will become an issue as the panel ages!

The HP can be turned down quite a bit, and actually must be, in order to match the brightness between the two screens.

Contrast ratio is directly dependent on backlight brightness, and as long as the TFT panel itself can maintain detail in both the shadows and highlights, the brighter the backlight, the higher the potential contrast.

Reducing the brightness seems to pander to the consumer's need to feel that he or she is being, "environmentally responsible", but it sucks if you actually want to get any work done, or perhaps simply marvel at how beautifully a large, bright, IPS monitor renders images.

No HDMI, well that's no fun ;P
HDMI requires a license fee, hence manufacturers are choosing to provide display port, which does not! I'm linking this HDMI topc thread; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic167633.html so you'll realize that this discussion might be considered, "deja vu all over again".

Hurr, I just bought a Dell U2210H for $215 and love it; might get one of these in the future, thought maybe by then they'll have a fast responding IPS screen. =o
Well, the E2210 is a TN display. So, while you may be happy with it, it seems slightly out of context here. (?) Although, I suppose an endorsement of Dell's overall quality carries merit.

Response time is a primary talking point aimed at gamers. The faster the better, I suppose. But once upon a time, IPS response times were on the order of 16ms, not the 6 to 8 of today's screens. So, aversion to IPS tech for gaming, may be partly a holdover from the, "good old days". I don't game, so I can't swear to it, but many reviewers have stated that today's IPS panels are indeed fast enough to be useful in the gaming arena.

I'm not sure how long you may have to hold your breath on a "fast", (2-3 ms), responding IPS panel though. It seems, that absolute speed is the trade off you have to make for accurate color. But yeah, maybe someday.

"Adobe RGB" (Adobe 1998)'s color space is much greater than standard RGB, which is what the web handles. In other words, you can transmit a color space greater the standard over the web, you just can't view it.

The differential numbers of the colors displayed really isn't all that worth talking about, Sensational maybe, but relevant, hardly.

I believe both HP and Dell's higher end IPS monitors are either 10 or 12 bit color depth. This new crop of lower priced offerings are 8 bit, as is Jpeg, and almost all of the filters in Photoshop.

Without dithering, TN panels are only 6 bit color depth, and that really isn't adequate for imaging work.

So, nothing's been downgraded, these are sensible products, now priced within reach of many more people.

With the list price set @ $399.00, I expect that any promotions on this monitor, might bring the price down to perhaps $350.00. That would restore the price point differential, at least to a degree, between this, and Dell's higher end product.

In any event, I would still opt for the HP 24" I linked above for the brightness, but certainly not over the color space issue, since the coverage is the same between the Dell and HP offerings.

haha! very funny red :) although CC's post was quite informative, Might go for the HP offering instead! :)

Back