Dell's latest ultra-thin high res Venue 8 7000 series tablet is now available in the US

Justin Kahn

Today at CES 2015, Dell announced that its Venue 8 7000 series tablet is now available for purchase. Initially announced back in September, the tablet is the first to feature intel’s RealSense camera system and is the “world’s thinnest tablet” according to Dell. It received quite a warm reception being dubbed one of most exciting new Android tablets by many.

It hosts Intel’s RealSense camera tech which makes use of two 720p rear mounted cameras in tandem with a single 8MP shooter. They allow users to capture depth in photos and then manually adjust the focus on different aspects of the image at a later point.

Beyond that, the Venue 8 7000 packs a 8.4-inch (2,560x1,600) “infinity edge-to-edge display” inside a 6mm thick aluminum casing. Many reports suggest the OLED display on the new Dell tablet is quite impressive with vivd colors and a wide viewing angle among other things. It has higher pixel density than most of its competitors including devices from Apple. 

Inside, it’s carrying a quad-core 2.3GHz Intel Atom processor with 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage and a microSD slot. While a future model will come with LTE, it will just be WiFi and Bluetooth from the start. 

The WiFi edition is available now at Dell.com and Best Buy for $399.99 in the US. It is expected to come available outside the US as 2015 rolls on and sometime later this week in Canada.

Permalink to story.

I bought one of these. Wow, what a nice tablet. It isn't perfect, but it's better than a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. It has better style, aesthetics, build quality and appeal as well as having better software. The skin overlay this Dell uses isn't anywhere near as bloated as Touchwiz on Samsung devices. This is closer to a vanilla (stock, unflavored) Android.

The things I love about this Dell are the AMOLED display and the metal construction. It's also very elegant, light and feels sweet in the hands. And I would definitely rather have one of these over a Samsung tab any day. It's also equipped with a 64 bit processor. So when Dell releases Android 5 for it, there should be really good operation since Android 5 was designed for 64 bit systems. The only other 64 bit tablet I'm aware of is the Nexus 9.

I tested battery life and found it to be excellent. From a fully charged state, I played a full HD movie for 2 hours and it had 84% BL remaining.

Back