DEP error for Windows Explorer at Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Whenever I click shutdown my computer has that Data Execution Prevention dialog with "Windows Explorer". I am stumped as to what could be causing this, I disabled all my programs from starting up practically just to the bare ones. Any ideas on where to start or whats up?

Have you disabled the DEP function in System properties > advanced > performance options > settings > DEP? If you do this on a temp basis, does it clear the error?
Also you should check what processes are still running despite your cutting out most of them - one of them is sitting there as a TSR (terminate and stay resident) program.

There's no need to disable DEP completely, you can just add explorer.exe to the excluded applications list.

Maybe something added to the right-click menu started this?

agreed - but if DEP itself is the problem I have found it easier to do a temo disable to confirm one way or another.

Yeah, I don't know what is going on or what is causing this. Also, I am getting random lock ups of programs like Winamp or Explorer.exe. I know overclocking could cause that but it wouldn't cause the DEP problems.

So just when I had thought I had fixed it by formatting, the problem rears it's head again, though I did fix the instability which was caused by a SATA cable.

It must be related to a program I keep installing.

I don't want to disable DEP because that is ignoring the underlying problem...however, when I do disable it that works.

So you guys think I should try running windows with no third party services running? And how can I tell what is a TSR?

I was doing some reading, some people say it could be a CODEC pack (especially older xvid codec) but i dont see how it would do that only upon shut down. That's the only thing i can think of right now besides my Kaspersky, but even when i removed that last time it still did it.

Thanks.

Would it help if i gave you guys a hijackthis log?

On my PC there are no less than 5 perfectly valid programmes that require DPP switched off for them. There simply are such programmes. Explorer is not one of them, but some of the older add-ons for explorer could certainly be suspect. I agreee you should carry on trying to track it down, although malware would not feature at the top of my suspicions, it is a possibility.

You say you disabled everything to the bones.Did you include services ?

Go into msconfig and uncheck everything all except Firewall

Go into the Services tab,click "Hide all Microsoft services" and uncheck

the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back