Desktop doesn't continue to power up

Hi,
I have upgraded my desktop, Motherboard for Dual Core, Power Suply, RAM, are all new. I used my previous HDD, DVD ROM and tower case. And I install all this together, while carefully following t he instruction on the manuals. But when I press the power on button, the case fan, cpu fan will only power up for a second and will turn off again and tottaly will not function, I have repeated to turn it on it all the same will power up for a split second and will stop. Any idea what causes this problem.. Need your help.

Thanks for the reply, here are component of my Desktop

Mother Board: Biostar G31M Ver. 7.x
Memory: Kingston DDR2 PC2 6400 2Gb
Power Supply: Intex 550 watts
HDD: Hitachi Sata 160Gb
Video card: Built-in

have checked that ATXPWR1 and ATXPWR2 are both connected also check your manual and make sure you have all the cable connected up to your motherboard also look in the trouble shooting section.

all ATX PWR1 and 2 are connected on the motherboard, i don't think i have missed a wire from power supply to motherboard. the rest of the wire that come from power supply that still open are connector that connect to IDE type HDD and DVD rom. Any other possible that may cause the problem of my Desktop.

thanks computerpete

When you next switch on your pc have a look on the motherboard to to see if get a light also check your power cable to your power unit and check the cable to the motherboard that 24 pins are properly seated.

Ps have you got a psu tester you try and test the psu if not you can get a cheap one on eBay.

Hi Computerpete
thank you very much for kind assistance, I have figured out the cause of the problem, I isolated all components inside (HDD, Optic Drive, RAM & Fans). After removing these component I power up the Desktop and CPU fan works and MOBO beeps and connect back all the component 1 at a time until the last component which is my HDD. The desktop works after connecting all the component but when I connected back the HDD and power up the desktop the problem occurs. Therefore I conclude that the HDD gives the problem, I replace it with other HDD from my other PC and it works....

ROOT cause of the problem is HDD, and the common problem of this kind of power that doesn't continue is shorted or busted components inside the case.

Solution: Isolation....

Hope this will also help to other.

Back