Desktop Wireless network not connecting

HP Pavillion with Windows Vista
Using a Diamond 300 mbps Wireless Repeater
Netgear Wireless Dualband Router N600 WNDR3400v2

When attempting to open IE, a popup opens that says:
Connect to 10.0.10.254
The server 10.0.10.254 at GoAhead requires a username and password.
Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).
User name:
Password:
and OK and Cancel

In device manager, computer doesn't recognize a wireless device.
It displays NVIDIA nForce 10/100 mbps Ethernet but nothing else.

Other devices (laptop,Ipad) can connect to the wireless in the home.
Internet provider says it is not on their end.

Can someone please offer some advice on how to resolve this issue.

Thank you

Go to Device Manager, find the wireless adaptor. It should have a yellow ! symbol next to it.

Post details here, then you need to install the drivers for it.

Diamond 300 mbps Wireless Repeater
that is NOT a device on the PC, so you need to use the wired connection, access the HP site and get the driver for your make/model (aka it doesn't show up so the driver is missing).

"When attempting to open IE, a popup opens that says:
Connect to 10.0.10.254
The server 10.0.10.254 at GoAhead requires a username and password."
hmm; that must then be when you are using a wired connection to your router?

Internet provider says it is not on their end
ok, who is your ISP and is that an ADSL or Cable connections?
try this; close all browsers, wire a connection to the router.
wait 30 seconds and then use IPCONFIG /ALL and copy paste that info in your follow up.

I don't have a wireless adapter I have a wireless bridge.

The popup happens on the PC when I try and reach the internet. My understanding is that the wireless bridge acts as if I have a wired connection to the router. ISP is Optimum and it is a cable connection. I searched for IPCONFIG/ALL but nothing came up.

I don't have a wireless adapter I have a wireless bridge.
I would agree

The popup happens on the PC when I try and reach the internet. My understanding is that the wireless bridge acts as if I have a wired connection to the router.
sorry, not correct. a bridge works like:
Code:
modem/wifi router --+-(wifi connection)--bridge to remote room(s)---switch/router--other devices
		  |
		  +--- wired or wifi connections
any wifi adaptor installed inside a PC makes the connection to the router and once connected, being wirerd or wireless does not matter. A bridge is not a device to which a PC connects at all. The single ethernet connection on the bridge is intended to go to a switch or another router, not a PC.

ISP is Optimum and it is a cable connection. I searched for IPCONFIG/ALL but nothing came up.
get a command prompt and enter
IPCONFIG /ALL
notice the space after ipconfig

Your first issue will be to get a wifi connection to the Dualband Router N600 WNDR3400v2;
  • WNDR3400v2 <- - -> PC
and to setup the WiFi, you use a wired connection first. This is where you set the SSID for that device, enable encryption, set the connection password and turn on the broadcasting. Also note which channel is being used for the WiFi - - typically it is #6, so move it to #1 (an issue for the Wireless Repeater later below).

On the LAN configuration, take notice of the router address for later use.

Save the settings and the device will reset.

The second chore will be to configure the Diamond Wireless Repeater.

Connect Wireless Repeater <-->PC and set its channel to #11 to avoid conflicting with the WNDR3400v2.
Again you set
the WiFI SSID for that device,
enable encryption,
and connection password (hint: use the same from the WNDR3400v2)

If the WNDR3400v2 router address ended in x.1, then set the Wireless Repeater address to x.250 - - the point being to make sure that they have separate address, well separated and that neither of the use x.255.

The first three digits of BOTH devices must be identical.

Save the settings.

Now you should be able to make Wireless Repeater connect to the WNDR3400v2 correctly.

I'm sorry I haven't responded. This has all gone very much ov my head. I'm hoping to get someone with more tech knowledge to assist me in following your directions. Thanks for your assistance and patience

Thank you so much for all your efforts to assist me. I finally found someone to help me in person. It appears that in working over the phone with the cable tech people the software for the wireless bridge was deleted and the network number was changed. After re-installing the software for the bridge and changing the network number all is well. Thanks again!:)

Back