Diablo III coming in Q2, WoW and StarCraft II expansions discussed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blizzard has once again announced that fans of the Diablo series will have to wait even longer to get their hands on the pending title. During a conference call to discuss the company’s fourth quarter financial results, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said that the game will be released during the second quarter of 2012, or sometime between April and June, with plans to announce more specific details about the release schedule in the coming weeks.

In other news from the call, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick announced that there will be yet another ‘Call of Duty’ game dropping later this year. Modern Warfare 3 became the biggest entertainment launch of all time and the best-selling game ever in a single year. There’s also a new version of Call of Duty Elite in the works although he didn’t elaborate on any details.

World of Warcraft ended 2011 with approximately 10.2 million subscribers and more than 1 million players have signed up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass. Those who sign up for the Annual Pass will get Diablo III for free when it’s released, an exclusive WoW Tyrael’s Charger mount and guaranteed beta entry into the next WoW expansion pack.

Speaking of the expansion pack, Mists of Pandaria is nearing beta status and gamers can expect to learn more about the update on March 19. The new expansion pack for StarCraft II, Heart of the Swarm, is a work in progress and we can expect more news on this front in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

I agree than modern warfare is a good game, but keeping playing the same run and shoot thing, every year.......

Little sad about the release date for Diablo 3, but at the same time I want a quality game released too. Would have liked to have Diablo 3 released in the winter when I don't do as much outside tho.

I am glad they gave use a semi-hard date, and didn't just leave use hanging with "early 2012".

Its funny diablo 2 was the best selling game of all time for its day and they wait 10 years to make a sequel, cod seems to pop one out every 9 months

Diablo III is going to be the most awarded game before release in history. It has been awarded "most antecipated game of the year" seven years in row.

QuaZulu said:
Hopefully that also means it wouldn't be a Blizzard release if it didn't absolutely kick @$$ after release...
Yeah... wonder what's been holding them back though? The preview vids going around looked amazing and they were what? About a year ago? Would be nice to know why they keep pushing the deadline.

Actually D3 won't be released in Q2. Instead they will just announce another release date and apologize for the delay.

Back